GT's First road test after 8 weeks on stands

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

GT's First road test after 8 weeks on stands

Post by B-Hive »

It was with trepidation that the GT was finally lowered off the stands and back onto her front wheels today.

She started first kick and pumped up enthusiastically and was largely leak free. Engine is more tappety than I'd like but that is easy to correct. Quick shot of carb cleaner had it idling smoothly. Thought originally that the FDV was leaking, however having "resealed" the engine oil filler pipe and given it a good clean, crossed fingers the FDV still looks clean and dry. Most of the oil must have been fumes and spillage from the oil filler pipe. The hydraulic regulator seems quite "noisy" almost rattlly.. suspecting that the accumulator sphere may be flat?? ...HP pump seems reasonably quiet and efficient but not whisper quiet!!

Suspension is very supple on the rear, fronts not too bad..almost good...struts will need "the service" but all things considered not too bad for a chariot that was off the road for 6 years..

MY GOODNESS this little car is quite lively, even though I have few doubts that it has been abused. This car I think had a very pampered life to a point ($15000 of receipts) then got moved on and suffered.

Biggest disappointment from the few laps of the block is that the clutch is weaker than i hoped, as it slips in the high torque band of 2nd gear. :(

Realistically I think it may be good for another 15-20k km, so am fortifying myself for a new clutch and what is involved in that process. There is pretty much no clutch pedal free play, so I'm holding on to the hope that if I was to adjust the cable that this may/will cure the issue..

If it does it will be a bonus !!! bit like the dry FDV...

As my first manual BX, heal and toe down changes seems almost impossible so the driving experience is kinda less fluid than I'm familiar with. But hey that was the exciting thing...I have a feeling that once I get use to driving the GT that it will all very quickly become very familiar.

In some ways you guys in the UK are lucky cos you have easier access to parts and "professional" assistance. I went to pretty much the ONLY local mechanic that would have a clue within 400km, and I felt like I had to get his approval to bring the car over if I got into any trouble.. At the end of the exchange he was kinda disinterested in doing anything on a BX unless I could certify that it had never been bodged nor had non-original parts installed. Looks like I'm on my own..

But at least the GT is straight, dry, rust free, with aircond...I had to put that in to justify my isolation.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well done, let's have some pics then. Yes, you've got to be brave to run and maintain BXs far away from La France! ( And near La France these days too)

But we've got each other here in the club for advice and assistance - we are scattered over the world but share the same passion..

beers no.. sorry wrong one.. ^^bx> ( though the other's not so bad!)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: GT's First road test after 8 weeks on stands

Post by kiwi »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:In some ways you guys in the UK are lucky cos you have easier access to parts and "professional" assistance. I went to pretty much the ONLY local mechanic that would have a clue within 400km, and I felt like I had to get his approval to bring the car over if I got into any trouble.. At the end of the exchange he was kinda disinterested in doing anything on a BX unless I could certify that it had never been bodged nor had non-original parts installed. Looks like I'm on my own..
Your not alone 99% of my "help" is self taught from years of ownership of a BX in the UK and from these forums. Keeping a BX on the road is a challenge you start to appreciate after a while.