Reasons for Mayo in the oil.

BX Tech talk
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Right! I bunged in a pot of engine flush today and then changed the oil and filter again.

I also spent ages cleaning out the wire filter in the top of the filler cap and I also cleaned out all the breather pipes. The evidence still seems to point at condensation being the cause of the problem as the pipes were damp on the inside and there was quite a lot of water behind the wire filter thing.
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
'92 TZD Hurricane (keeping it safe for a mate)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Maybe you need to borrow a 2CV's muff... :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if you cxompletly remove the filler kneck from the car,

then put the large end of a half inch drive extention up the bottom openning/hole (no not your bbbb hole), then tap the other end of the extention on something hard like a vive whilst holding the filler kneck body,

this will push the centre funnel/tube up out of the top of the kneck,

then you will find another roll of wire gause which will almost certainly be clogged up with gooooo,

locate the metal tack and pull it out then unroll the gause clean it and re/assemble,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

You apparently still have that wire stuff in place in the UK? As far as I know, there were instructions by the Finnish importer long time ago to have it removed in order to prevent the oil-vomiting phenomenon. Don't know if this applied to all models, but at least XUD9:s.

Don't have any official documents to check the actual instructions and what models they applied to.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Every time I have got a GTi it goes in the bin. Rusting waste of time IMO.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

rmattila wrote:You apparently still have that wire stuff in place in the UK? As far as I know, there were instructions by the Finnish importer long time ago to have it removed in order to prevent the oil-vomiting phenomenon. Don't know if this applied to all models, but at least XUD9:s.

Don't have any official documents to check the actual instructions and what models they applied to.
You mean that gauze stuff in the filler cap? It is still in BXs even over here in NZ. What I do with mine is soak it in petrol or some other cleaning agent give it a blast with a pressure washer and blow it out with an airpump. A good shake and leaving it to dry works as well.

I doubt not having it will make much differance beacuse those breather pipes will still condense the water vapour in them from the cooling and warming action of the engine.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Kiwi wrote
"You mean that gauze stuff in the filler cap?"

no no Kiwi i am talking about the gause inside the filler kneck,

although i would sudgest the one in the cap is removed and chucked in the bin, because when it starts rustting bits of rustty wire go into the engine,

i spoz this does go for the one in the filler kneck too,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

citronut wrote: i am talking about the gause inside the filler kneck,
In all the years of BX ownership I have never seen gauze inside the filler neck only in the cap. I have also yet to see one rusty???
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i have seen them rusty and Kiwi you obviously have never dismantled the inner and outter parts of an oil filler kneck then,

the funnle shaped part you pour the engine oil in through does come out of the kneck body, as described in my earlyer post above, and there is a roll of gause inbetween the two parts,

or at least on UK car anyhow

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Rich,

when i learnt to drive my mum had an 86' BX 16TRS in beige. In the cold weather it always did similar to your 'mayo' pics. Never found any problems, its just how it was. My dad used to put a bit of ply over half the radiator to warm it up quicker, worked a treat.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

citronut wrote:Kiwi wrote
"You mean that gauze stuff in the filler cap?"

no no Kiwi i am talking about the gause inside the filler kneck,
And I meant both. :lol: It's not by any means an ultimate help to the freezing problem, but as I said earlier, everything possible should be done, and still there is a risk of breather freezing, whenever it gets cold enough.

If I've understood correctly, the problem was somewhat smaller with Xantiae than with BX:s, but the early C5 was really the ultimate oil spitter, and had e.g. electric breather heaters installed at the importer's expense.

The single most effective help is a piece of something (cardboard, metal, plywood) between the radiator and the engine, and decent motor oils, especially in the cold season. And avoiding repeated short trips, where the engine does not have sufficient time to thoroughly warm up.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

citronut wrote:i have seen them rusty and Kiwi you obviously have never dismantled the inner and outter parts of an oil filler kneck then,

the funnle shaped part you pour the engine oil in through does come out of the kneck body, as described in my earlyer post above, and there is a roll of gause inbetween the two parts,

or at least on UK car anyhow

regards malcolm
I have dismantled a BX over here and a few back in the UK and to be honest never noticed the gauze fittings.

Not saying they are not there just saying never seen or noticed.

btw, your English spelling is getting terrible must be the Yankee settings on your windows. :lol:
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Stinkwheel wrote:Rich,

when i learnt to drive my mum had an 86' BX 16TRS in beige. In the cold weather it always did similar to your 'mayo' pics. Never found any problems, its just how it was. My dad used to put a bit of ply over half the radiator to warm it up quicker, worked a treat.
Thanks Matt :)

I think Ian may be onto something... 2cv muff + cable ties = 1 stupid looking but warm BX :shock:
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
'92 TZD Hurricane (keeping it safe for a mate)