Not a BX (YET!) But,,,,,,

BX Tech talk
BX fan 18

Not a BX (YET!) But,,,,,,

Post by BX fan 18 »

Hello again, may not have a BX yet but i have taken the plunge into citroen ownership ready for our charity run in July.

After coming within a wisker of buying the silver bx from grenwich but having a bus rearrange the bodywork 48 hours before collection!!! we then a few weeks later became the owners of a 93 AX 1.0. Decision was mainly down to cost and running costs but i do still have a hankering for a bx, it will happen!

Anyways this little Ax has the little TU9 engine and only has a temperature warning light but no gauge, something i want to fit as the last horror story involved our old horrid ford ka which successfully melted its internals and still no light came on!!!!,,,,,

On the Tu, which i'm guessing is the same block design as the one in say a 1.4 BX is there anywhere to mount a capillary temp guage. I have been gifted a new guage but the only visable signs i can see is a nut on the thermohousing which is perfect but the probe fills the gap completely including the screwthreads! or there are 2 connectors on the side immedialtely below one green and one blue.

If anyone can shed any light on this i would be very grateful.
Not an owner yet !!!!!!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

After coming within a wisker of buying the silver bx from grenwich but having a bus rearrange the bodywork 48 hours before collection!!!
Yes that was a shame - it did look to be a good one.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

It has to be possible, I've had an AXGT, and a ZX 14, both of which come as standard with a temp gauge...but I can't for the life of me remember how the thermostat housing is arranged, which is where you would need to put the temperature sender.
BX fan 18

Post by BX fan 18 »

Thanks for the replies there, did a little research online and it seems 205's have a different thermostat housing with temp take off, i'll have to have a look on ebay and the scrappers, totally forgot about the zx,,,thanks for that! :D
Not an owner yet !!!!!!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

my bx 14 has the the spare temp sensor fitted, its just fitted and not connected to anything, so if yours is the same it will be easy.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
BX fan 18

Post by BX fan 18 »

Is that the nut on top of the thermoshousing???

If yes i have removed that although the capillary sensor filled the hole completely including the threads, although other sized capillaries should be available i would have thought???
Not an owner yet !!!!!!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

The temp sender on the AX GT is in mounted in the top of the thermostat housing. I had to find a new housing for mine, and walking round the scrap yard, it looked like every TU engined Pug and Citroen had the capacity for the sender. The yellow plug below is where it lives:

This was off a Xsara and was identical!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Ahhh handy picture,

what i meant by my BX has the sender, well, where the yellow spade terminal is in the pic. Thats where i have the sender unit but no wiring or gauge.

So, in theory all i need is to connect it up, hey presto.

If citroen fitted the sender but not the rest of the kit to mine, they possibly did to a lot of other vehicles too.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
BX fan 18

Post by BX fan 18 »

Superb that is exactly the same housing as mine but without the sensor. All i need now is that sensor - trip to the scrappers for that! and a new electric temperature guage, many thanks guys!!!!!!!!! :D
Not an owner yet !!!!!!