Bottom balljoint ( steering swivel)

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Bottom balljoint ( steering swivel)

Post by toddao »

I started on the front arm bushes but on the way I have noticed there is excessive play in the bottom balljoint on one side.

Looking in The Haynes I see that they use three special tools to remove and refit the balljoint. Must I visit a garage then to get this done or are there any other solutions?

Also, are the bottom balljoints standard across the whole BX range?

Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

A couple of ideas to consider:

http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... allonivel/
http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... totyokalu/

As far as I know, the balljoints are the same in all BX's, but there are significant quality differences between different brands. TRW used to be good, but I've recently had some disappointments with those too.

-Riku
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

The tool sdelasal linked above is all you'll need (other than the 34mm? socket that fits it).

If you're lucky they'll come out easily but be prepared to use much heat (with the hub carrier off the car)!

TIP: when you tighten the nut up to lock the tool onto the balljoint don't overtighten it otherwise the tools teeth will bite into the hub carrier making it appear impossible to turn.

TIP2: If you do need to use heat be aware that a heated balljoint can become a LETHAL missile :!:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

JayW wrote:The tool sdelasal linked above is all you'll need (other than the 34mm? socket that fits it).
That's true, if the joint is not very tight. If this happens to be the case, only the best of those tools will do, the not-so-good ones (such as mine) are at risk of breaking. I improvised the system of using a M30 nut with a 40 mm cavity machined to the other end for the extremely tight cases. In addition to providing a good grip, the heat from welding the nut to the joint will help in getting it moving.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for the replies. I can't imagine it will come out too easily! It looks as though it was fitted by Andre Citroen himself..
Todd

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If you can get a windy gun on the proper socket they\'re ALOT easier to remove!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

So far I've not met a joint that wouldn't have come out with this method. I usually start by trying with the socket, but if it feels too tight, I take the welding machine out and use the "nut method".

The holding tool is made from an old wheel rim.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

All good stuff this thanks guys , and just to reiterate Jay W's 'tip 2' I once saw one explode on a Renault Master van my mate was heating up.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

In terms of quality AEP list Lemforder ones which were the OEM for Citroen. Don't know if postage would be an issue though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

mat_fenwick wrote:In terms of quality AEP list Lemforder ones which were the OEM for Citroën.
I must admit that I actually don't know anything about this, but however remember being told that today you can't be sure of the actual manufacturer of even parts with Lemförder logo in the packaging. In my experience, 10 years ago TRW ball joints were good for 4-5 years and 200 000 - 250 000 km. Now it seems that they need to be replaced annually or at least every 100 000 km. At MOT last week, they found excessive play at a TRW labeled ball joint I installed just six months ago.

On the upside, the parts come off easily if you replace them every year.. :roll:
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Looking at the various ball joints for sale on the internet I saw a single TRW one for €48 - is that the going rate? At the other end of the scale there's 2 'no name' ones for sale inc. postage for €19. Those AEP ones are also very reasonable.
I bought some no-name brake pads two years ago that looked crap just from the cheesy cheapo packaging but they've been very good. I suppose these days, as you point out Riku, it's a bit of a lottery.
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You're right, the name on the box is no indication of who actually made it but I would have thought that if they made the parts for Citroen, they would continue making them (not necessarily to the same quality...) for the aftermarket. When I worked for QH that is what we did, and only outsourced and re-boxed the low volume parts that it wasn't economical to tool up for. It was usually more profitable to manufacture in house rather than buy in.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i would not use too much heat as it can melt the grease in the wheel bearing, then that will be your next job,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

rmattila wrote:On the upside, the parts come off easily if you replace them every year.. :roll:
always look on the bright side; love it :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.