cam belt etc?

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

cam belt etc?

Post by B-Hive »

Hi ya all

About to embark on replacing the cambelt on the GT, bearing sounding a bit raw so that will be renewed as well.

Quick question..Is this a good time to be exploring/interrogating the whole camshaft and its bearings etc..or can i re-visit this later?

Is the cam belt pulley/wheel independent of the valve gear or would it and the cambelt need to come off again/be replaced if I was to tinker/refine the valve gear on a later occasion???

Why I ask is that the valve gear (aside from the obvious noisy clearances) may be tired and I don't really embrace the prospect of shelling out for another cambelt if i have to later on do surgery on the valve gear..

Thanks
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

A cambelt for a 1.9 petrol would probably cost less than £10 on ebay. I'd hardly say this would break the bank....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If you're going to remove the cam at some point, do it now at the same time. If you're not, just looking at it (not much you can really look at without removal) then just do the belt kit.

The cambelt has to come off to remove the cam.

Best bet....buy another head, get it cleaned and refaced, build it up with reconned parts with new seals and lap valves in etc. Then replace with head gasket, cambelt kit and all the trimmings. That's quite a few little niggly consumable jobs done in one hit.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)