Front staying up

BX Tech talk
mds141
Over 2k

Front staying up

Post by mds141 »

:oops: After setting ride height to high for tyre change today came out of National Tyres resembling a speedboat! I presume the front height corrector is sticking been undeneath with wd40 no improvement. Would help if i knew exactly what height corrector looks like and where. Many thanks in anticipation.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

:oops Sorry should have added can anyone please tell what the height corector looks like and best remedies for unsticking it wd40,grease etc. Cheers.
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

IOWBX
BXpert
My Cars: 61 Hillman Minx
65 Sunbeam Alpine
65 Ford F250 pickup
82 Lotus Eclat
90 Renault 5
90 Rover Metro GTi 16v

Post by IOWBX »

could be a sticky strut if you (ahem) don't get it up that often. Have you tried lowering it fully. If operation to lowest height is smooth then it is likely to be the height adjuster (located roughly to the left of centre looking from the front into the engine bay down at the bottom of the bulkhead) Hope that helps. Altenatively set the car to highest setting and follow the front rod from the height selector towards the front of the car - it is attached to the height adjuster.
I like older cars… I love Citroens
Need a BX :D
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Cheers struts are ok it's just the front won't come down no matter what height it is set to. Even pushing down on front end won't restore normal ride height.
Mark Smith

IOWBX
BXpert
My Cars: 61 Hillman Minx
65 Sunbeam Alpine
65 Ford F250 pickup
82 Lotus Eclat
90 Renault 5
90 Rover Metro GTi 16v

Post by IOWBX »

OK - are both sides at the front equally hard up? ie won't budge even if body weight is applied to the front when height selector in low position. worth checking that the height adjuster rod as mentioned before is connected to the height corrector. Best to set height to max, make sure a jack is in place so car cannot fall onto you and have someone move the height lever inside to lowest poisition and check operation at height corrector which this rod is connected to at the front - be aware the car may lower. If it is indeed operating and there is no evidence of untoward movement (loose) of the surrounding items attached to it then it could be a failed unit if the previous test identified both sides of the car were indeed hard up. If not post again. Others here will be able to help with blocked return pipes etc... which I have minimal experience of. I had a stuck strut. Similar symptoms, but one side would move a little. Good luck
I like older cars… I love Citroens
Need a BX :D
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Ok cheers for that i'll get it up on ramps tomorrow.
Mark Smith