My Cars: 61 Hillman Minx
65 Sunbeam Alpine
65 Ford F250 pickup
82 Lotus Eclat
90 Renault 5
90 Rover Metro GTi 16v

How do you build a 4x4 bx?

Post by IOWBX »

Can anyone summarise what might be required to turn what is normally a fantastic bx into a less economical 4x4 :shock: lol.. I have a requirement to run both a hatch and estate 4x4 (soon!). I'm struggling to find much for sale at present so have thought of maybe building said items as there is much more choice to start with. I have the required facilities and (erm) know how - also might need a source of parts. Thanks
I like older cars… I love Citroens
Need a BX :D
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

You'd surely have to butcher a 4x4 to create a 4x4 BX? I don't know them that well, but I'd suspect some body re-engineering might be in order.

Not sure why a 4x4 is so essential. They don't tend to be kind on their transmissions and create other issues (such as custom exhausts). What is it you're trying to do?
IOWBX
BXpert
65 Sunbeam Alpine
65 Ford F250 pickup
82 Lotus Eclat
90 Renault 5
90 Rover Metro GTi 16v

Post by IOWBX »

I would like to run two bx 4x4's (1hatch, 1 estate) for my foreseeable future transport needs but there isn't much choice out there to buy. I'm thinking of building a couple or restoring etc... If the bodyshell IS different for a 4x4, and I don't know myself, this would make it non viable and I'll resort to restoring or buying. Any more info appreciated.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Are there no Psychiatrists on the island :?
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

It would cost a fortune to convert a standard 2wd to a 4x4 version, best just keeping an eye out for the odd few 4x4's that crop up.

What happened to Dean's one, if you're prepared to build a 4x4, surely a restoration of a pre-existing 4x4 is actually going to be less hassle, i'm surprised you haven't snapped it up?

The estate listed on e-bay is going for reasonable money, but even that would be a fraction of the cost of trying to make one, so why not go for those 2, sell your 2wd cars that you have to offset the costs of having 2 4x4's on your drive?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Are there no Psychiatrists on the island
If there are no psychiatrists on the island you're going to need Gbox, transfer box, rear diff, and the bits needed to get driveshafts through the rear suspension to the wheels.

Then you're going to have to beat a hump in the fuel tank - the propshaft has to go somewhere- then you'll have a fuel tank which won't empty fully so you'll have to fit the sensor from a 4x4 and the extra fuel pump which transfers fuel from one side of the tank to the other when it gets low.

You'll have to have an exhaust system made to fit the spaces that are left.

etc...
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

the floorpan is quite different, as is the front subframe, rear subframe, and indeed, rather a lot under the car, so yeah, really you'd need a 4x4 shell to start with.
Retrofitting a 4x4 setup n a 2wd shell would require massive reworking of the shell.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

have you driven a 4x4 bx?

If not, I recommend you do before spending any cash. I drove a well maintained 1.9 GTI 4x4 a few years ago.

It went like a 1.6 litre car, but drank like a BX16V

It left me very underwhelmed. I had an 8V GTI 2wd and that was faster, more economical,lighter and much more fun.

4wd BXs were noted mostly for their lack of reliability and cost of ownership.

Get one if you like driving in the snow, but I would get a normal BX for long trips into France.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Anyone who I know had a BX 4x4 converted them to 2wd for the reasons Mike stated.

TBH I do not understand the fascination with 4x4 cars most if not any of them will go off road. If they do they have a short life anyways.
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

the floorpan is quite different, as is the front subframe, rear subframe, and indeed, rather a lot under the car, so yeah, really you'd need a 4x4 shell to start with.
Retrofitting a 4x4 setup n a 2wd shell would require massive reworking of the shell.
Sorry Doc, but I have to disagree with you there slightly. The actual bodyshell does not differ that significantly, the only differences are as follows:

1), A centre propshaft support bracket is welded onto the underside of the car.
2), The rear swinging arm bumpstops are in a slightly different positon, which requires a further two brackets welded to the subframe.

From my own observations the shells for conversion to 4x4 were taken off the production line and these additions were MIG welded in situ, as there is always well advanced corrosion in these areas, because the degree of corrosion protection was compromised.

The rest of the items are just bolt on.

But why would anyone contemplate this modification, as others have pointed out its far easier to to restore a viable BX4x4 to start with.

If your really interested in a brace of BX4x4 to restore then PM me, as I know a man who has a few, and may be looking to sell them, before they completely revert back to Iron Oxide
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Frankly I'd forget the idea altogether, despite being a Citroen fan if I needed a 4x4 estate in that size range I'd go for a Subaru Forester.

Tried and tested technology over a very long time. Gibbo.
adriches

Post by adriches »

If you have a 4x4 doner car everything will bolt to a standard shell without much hassle. Well that was the case with my 405.... (don't hurt me :-D) The 4x4 running gear was from a phase 1 mi16x4, and it all went on to a phase 2 estate td! Gearbox, fuel tank, complete rear suspension etc.
IOWBX
BXpert
65 Sunbeam Alpine
65 Ford F250 pickup
82 Lotus Eclat
90 Renault 5
90 Rover Metro GTi 16v

Post by IOWBX »

Thanks for all the posted info - reading with intrigue. It seems as though a retrofit could be possible but restoration or buying a good one seems the best option. I have money waiting for the ebay one if he could furnish me with some sensible info, and have PM'd Dean re his. Must go as my psychiatrist is here - in his BX - and he's brought Roger the squirrel too :wink:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kevin B wrote:Sorry Doc, but I have to disagree with you there slightly. The actual bodyshell does not differ that significantly,
I must be getting bloody old It hink, I'm sure the last one I cut up had a different (larger) "transmission" tunnel and weird rear legs..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
IOWBX
BXpert
65 Sunbeam Alpine
65 Ford F250 pickup
82 Lotus Eclat
90 Renault 5
90 Rover Metro GTi 16v

Post by IOWBX »

the 4x4 requirement is purely for snow covered tarmac roads and maybe the odd lane or two - nothing more than keeping mobile in remote areas beyond that which a set of good M&S tyres can provide for. Snow chains are a pain because often the roads are only covered in places. The BX is an excellent compromise in terms of size, speed, simplicity, economy (haven't mentioned safety - hard to get rid of my merc in that respect) and no one else has one generally - except here of course :shock: I don't need a hi/lo box as the forester provides, they are also not economical and as I need 2 vehicles essentially the same (common sense approach) the subaru(s) would work out much more expensive all round (says the accountant in me) - see my post in 'for sale /wanted' for some background. cheers