speedo rattle & track rod boots

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

speedo rattle & track rod boots

Post by B-Hive »

So now the CV joint is out without any problems, and all cleaned up waiting for the new gaitors. I already have the outter boot but decided to do the inner one as well since it is perishing.. So whilst am waiting for the boot to arrive, (and hopefully the immanent arrival of the power steering pipes) I'm re focussing on a few smaller things. Namely the track rods ball joint boot is perished/damaged from removal..long shot but are the little rubber boots still available by themselves..It seems an awful wasted to ditch a track rod just cos the boot is damaged..

Secondly as the speedo ticks quite loudly, and the odometre doesnt work, is there a known part or cog that tends to fail. Its a mk1 speedo but am guessing its internals are the same as later models.

Fanks
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Re the track rods balljoints, I don't reckon that the boots were ever available separately. You just buy the complete unit.

And the sound from the speedo - I would just open it up and take a look. It's not that daunting. I've had some strange sounds from the speedo drum which were rectified with some grease on the spindle.
If you do open it up and see anything obviously broken I have a few parts lying around as I replaced one of mine with a new unit.

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read