Split hose - part number required

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Split hose - part number required

Post by Wooscary »

Hello

Right, this hose (number 1 on the first photo) has totally disintegrated at the end where it connects to the rocker cover. I've had to bodge it with tape and zip ties (not good!). So, I'm after a part number, or does anyone know if this is a standard hose size? (number 2 shows the delightful oil splatter and number 3 shows the seemingly ok new gasket).

The second photo shows another hose I've after, the small one which connects to the front of the intercooler.

Many thanks.

bx1 by Wooscary, on Flickr

bx2 by Wooscary, on Flickr
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Would these help?

Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The first hose is a well-known bastard of a pipe to go hard and split. If you look in breakers yards on more modern XUD-equipped cars (306, 406 etc) you should find one in much better condition. Bit of a pain to remove though, as it's often easiest to remove the dipstick tube complete with this hose attached.

... and no, you can't just replace it with a length of standard hose... it's about 5/8" at the bottom and 1" at the top.

The second hose is a fair bit easier, as it's the turbo pressure line to the injection pump. That can be replaced with standard hose. 3/8" if I remember correctly.
Last edited by DavidRutherford on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this might be a signature
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

That's great, thank you both. Part ordered for tomorrow.

I can well imagine it being a pain, couldn't see any other way of getting to the other end, other than taking out the oil filler/dipstick. Oh well, just another thing I'll learn how to do, can't be a bad thing in the long run.

Thanks again.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'd deffo agree with David, that 1st hose is as described, even worse if you have car maintenance skills like me, i managed to bust the dipstick tube housing pipe that comes out & connects to said pipe. Just got to re-fit a replacement everything :x when its warmer.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I'll try and take your experience in to account, but I do still have several rolls of gaffa and a bag of zip ties, so nothing can go that wrong.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Mine had those poxy clips on them that were impossible to remove, hence a screwdriver & a hammer were used which erm caused me to break the thing.....

Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I'm worried now, I am a bit of a hammer user. (Just removed a defective d-lock from brother's bike with a sledgehammer and trolley jack this evening).

I'll be careful. Ha ha.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

MULLEY wrote:Mine had those poxy clips on them that were impossible to remove, hence a screwdriver & a hammer were used which erm caused me to break the thing.....
Ok, so this just happened, although no hammer was used, damn that's brittle plastic.

So now I need a new dipstick/filler housing. Argh! Are these available? Does anyone have one? How on earth are they attached, I can't see anything?

Any help much appreciated, I'm helping a friend with his poorly Skoda tomorrow (don't laugh) and was hoping to be able to get to the parts shop.

Cheers (F***)
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Oops, i did warn you, its bloody annoying tbh as you think its a piss easy job to remove the old pipe & just pop a nice new one on, but no, access at the bottom is a beaaaatch & those clips are a real pain because you have to kinda break them at the join, which appears to require force which is no good with citroen cheap plastic dipstick tubes :x

I feel for you, i really do, as i was ready to send the car off for scrap when it happened. Luckily Ken found me a 2nd hand dipstick tube, but i've still got the hassle of having to remove everything out of the way, of which the starter motor is one of them & its something else that didn't want to budge :x When its warmer i'll have another crack at it, i'll probably replace all of the pipes at the same time as i don't ever want to have to replace any of them due to limited access....

Let us know how you get on, i might get some handy tips from you....

Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Yeah, it is some of the worst access I've encountered, in that it's right there, but not quite in reach! Dammit.

Ok, so they are a rarey thing to get hold of and a pain to fit. How much pressure is there on that pipe? I've got plans in my head to clean up the area completely and then reattach the snapped stub of tube with araldite or milliput for a temporary fix in situ.

Not ideal certainly, but I've fixed/bodged a lot of things with the above, especially milliput.

Right, you can all start laughing now. :D
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

The part is now beyond repair (it's just crumbling away in my hands! See my post in the "wanted/for sale" section).

So, is this part definitely NLA? Are there any parts that are usable/similar from other Pugs/Cits? Or does anyone have one they'd sell me?

I've found this on Ebay which looks pretty similar, but can't be sure http://tinyurl.com/6xy3xn7

Any thoughts would be great as I'm not sure where to go from here with this being my only car.

Cheers

Martin
Last edited by Wooscary on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

It is possible to get the oil filler out without removing anything else. The hardest part is getting the clips off the hoses, as they are the single use, unremovable kind. I used a wide blade chisel to jimmy them off sideways, but it's a tricky job.

1 by Wooscary, on Flickr

From there, it's a case of undoing the jubilee clip at the base of the filler. This is a pain, but can be accessed with a spanner down the front, putting a hand down just behind the radiator.

3 by Wooscary, on Flickr

On trying to refit it after I'd araldited the broken piece back on, the splines (or whatever you'd call them) at the base of the filler started to all fall off, seemingly through age sitting in dirty oil for 17 years.

2 by Wooscary, on Flickr

So, it's doable, and I've got every confidence in refitting a less knackered one, but it's a horrible job for access.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Wooscary wrote:It is possible to get the oil filler out without removing anything else.........
.......but it's a horrible job for access.
it's impressive that you managed to get that out of there without removing anything else. I'd have removed the air inlet trunking and the starter motor to allow sensible acces, which would have meant you could get to everything much more easily, and possibly not broken anything....

Years ago I would have done the same as you have. Experience has taught me there's nothing like having sensible access to everything.
this might be a signature
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

True true, point taken. I have small hands, so everything seems possible :D.

Can anyone tell me what this part is called? I took it out gain better access and it looks knackered, the threads are a bit cheesed etc. It looks like some kind of thermostat/valve kind of thing, and must be something to do with the coolant system as I lost a little coolant on removal. I won't exactly apologise for a stupid question, but agree that this is probably quite obvious. :)

4 by Wooscary, on Flickr