Citroen BX 4X4 Rebuild

BX Tech talk
djm666
BXpert

Citroen BX 4X4 Rebuild

Post by djm666 »

Here we go, It all started a few months ago. And now it wont stop untill i have it on the road.
there is always a way.
I have had this car since i bought it from a scrap yard, it had hardly any exhaust left, an LHM leak, and a massive list that i made on the drive home.
have done everything, there is nowhere i have not had to bits and rebuilt now. I really enjoy the BX 4x4 it is a great bit of kit.
I converted the interoir to Black as it was a bit crap in grey. so that came out of a scrap 93 TZD estate. it has been a great challenge to find the parts that Citroen will no longer supply and making parts up my self has been a lot of laughs.
So then i moved to New Zealand and could not afford to bring it. so i stored it up for a few years in a barn, untill the day came that i got it out here. along with the parts car. an identical match to this one.
and then it began the big strip and clean hack back and rust cut out sessions and then rust treat the surface rust and paint.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
djm666
BXpert

BX 4x4 Restoration

Post by djm666 »

that is just a taster, then the real fun began.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

KMO, Slough press car?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
djm666
BXpert

bx 4x4

Post by djm666 »

It had citroen slough plates on it when i got it.
i dont really know much about its origin apart from i got it from billericay, essex.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
djm666
BXpert

BX 4X4 Resto

Post by djm666 »

Then there was some repairing and making of the Parts that were falling apart.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
djm666
BXpert

BX 4X4 Resto

Post by djm666 »

Then it was time to start bolting it all back together, it was a very good day. nearly everything is just how i want it. i now have some body work to take care of then i will start on the front subframe.

Will post more pics soon of the impending bodywork.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
djm666
BXpert

BX 4X4 Resto

Post by djm666 »

As you can see the rear subframe was really quite corroded but surprisingly it was all a lot of surface and with a blast and paint is now looking as good as it can. I have got another new subframe but i thought i better save it for another day as i have got a new Torsen diff from a GTI. but i stopped myself from using them yet.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

that fabrication work looks great. the rebuild is coming along at some pace. are you an engineer by trade? the bottom of the chassis looks very good too,must have spent very little time in a uk climate?
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
djm666
BXpert

BX 4X4 Resto

Post by djm666 »

Yes i Impoted it last year to New Zealand. it had spent all its life in the UK but i kept it for 4 years in a barn away from the cold and salt. untill i had enough money to bring them out here. i see you have some Audi Quattro's
i sold my 1984 Audi 100 Quattro Avant before i left the UK i was very sad to see it go. was a very good car to drive C870CYE was the reg dark blue it was. bloke bought it and drove it back to scotland from east anglia.

I was brought up on Citroens, was always in the engine bay even as a small child so i picked everything up from my father who ran his own business.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
IOWBX
BXpert
My Cars: 61 Hillman Minx
65 Sunbeam Alpine
65 Ford F250 pickup
82 Lotus Eclat
90 Renault 5
90 Rover Metro GTi 16v

Post by IOWBX »

Excellent post - very interesting and informative!
I like older cars… I love Citroens
Need a BX :D
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

So once the propshaft is disconnected, is the rear subframe as easy as a 2wd BX to remove with just the front-rear hydraulic pipes and suspension control rod to worry about?

My GTi 4x4 needs doing this year....
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Seriousley impressive work!

On a different note, have you any piccies of the CX??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
djm666
BXpert

BX 4x4 Restoration

Post by djm666 »

once you have the rear prop off you just pull the front to rears off then you give it some wriggling then it comes down nice, going back together i have found it better to bolt the mounts to the car loosly then bolt the mounts to the subframe onec they are in as you find yourself manouvering it about a lot once you have the front mounts in. but i was doing most of the work by myself so if you have a hand that would be better.

i am writting everthing down that i have found is the same as a Normal BX and i am compiling a list of things as i come across them that you can use from other citroens and more.

so if you find yourself in the shit and have been told that citroen wont help, get in touch and i will steer you right.

i really dont know why people are scared of the 4x4 it really is a peice of piss to work on and an enjoyment i have found to restore. now i start on the front end once i have sold my XM. to many cars not enough money to keep them all.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
Grgabx

Re: Citroen BX 4X4 Rebuild

Post by Grgabx »

Hi. How was the restoration in the end? :) i've ben doing some on my 4x4. now some sound sarted underneath the engine when driving. doesn't have connection with gearbox because it grows with speed of a car, not clutch or gear changing. I have to make a diagnostic next week at the mechanics.
Drive with style
djm666
BXpert

Re: Citroen BX 4X4 Rebuild

Post by djm666 »

Hi there, the restoration has been on hold for a bit as business has gone crazy and have not got much spare time atm, i will get back into it though.
if you have a strange noise it could be the splines from the gearbox to the tranfer box. it usually is. so pull the whole unit out and rebuild, that he engine and box's.
i am on the front half of the underbody resto on mine. it sits in the barn waiting for me. it has taken me a year to find a rust free BX here in New Zealand, well not rust free as we dont get that problem just bog free and collision free.lol.
then i will start to cut out the rust and put steel back in.
if you have any more troubles and need advice get in touch.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85