Citroen BX 4X4 Rebuild

BX Tech talk
djm666
BXpert

Re: Citroen BX 4X4 Rebuild

Post by djm666 »

I have found a supplier for the bearing. I found a Volvo part that works.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

From what Volvo model would that be? And teh bearing itself is not a problem as it is standard size but the thing where it hangs.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
cfh

Post by cfh »

djm666 wrote:I have found a supplier for the bearing. I found a Volvo part that works.

I guessed that there would be a standard off the shelf unit for this, just a question of finding it!
So a Volvo unit fits the bill? I am unable to get my 4x4 over the pit to check the dimensions asked for by Parkers, ID, OD, thickness and c.c's of fixing holes of mounting cap. I could jack the car up and wriggle under to get these dims, but I am at an inflexible age and will wait for one of my sons to give me a hand this weekend. Yor rebuild is very impressive and inspiring :roll:
Thanks very much for the info.

Regards Chris. :D
BX 4x4 Estate
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Chris, if you haven't got it sorted yet this is what I wrote in an article for NZCCC on clutch replacement in my GTi 4x4 and this is the extracted part related to the prop shaft intermediate bearing
"A problem that I had whilst doing the engine out/clutch change was that the prop shaft bearing had come adrift from its rubber diaphragm mounting. I think this was caused by the rear subframe dropping with the height that I had the car blocked up, and pushing the prop shaft forward beyond the limits of the rubber bearing support. In future I’ll undo the prop shaft bearing housing to allow the prop shaft to move freely. The bearing rubber mounting is also not available from Citroen. A replacement was however sourced from Meyle - drive shaft support, Art No. 014 041 0045, Ref No. 123 410 10 81 – being used in older Mercedes cars. The bearing holder however needed to be packed from its mounting point in order to give it the correct relative location to the prop shaft."
I got the part back in 2008 from Meyle Singapore, based on this advice from the BX forum back in , see http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85621#85621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know if you need more. I've got photos of the job.
Cheers, Gordon
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
cfh

Post by cfh »

Hello Gordon,
Thanks for getting in touch re; BX centre prop bearing. I have not yet made time to get under the car to collect the Dimensions. So no progress made.
The problem is going to be, removing the old bearing from the prop as I have been unable to remove the rubber doughnut to allow separation of the shaft due to a special tool needed to fit the heads of the securing bolts. A 4" angle grinder would do the job but I prefer to dismantle rather than destroy.
I have not looked to see if the shaft can be separated from the back axle connection to remove the splined joint and the bearing, if this is possible, it only needs for the bearing to be sourced, fitted, a new UJ to the front, and it will be good for another 100,00 miles+.
I have looked at the older Mercedes bearings but the fitting cap does not meet the horizontal centre line of the bearing therefore spacers are needed as you refer to.

I like the look of Mitsubishi L200 pickup centre bearing, if it matches the dimensions of the BX one the problem is solved and all BX 4x4ers can buy one for stock.

If you can suggest how best to remove the propshaft I will be grateful. I don't expect to get the car over the pit for at least a couple of weeks or more.

Thanks again for your input. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards.

Chris.
BX.jpg
BX 4x4 centre prop bearing and doughnuts at centre join.
BX 4x4 centre prop bearing and doughnuts at centre join.
BX 4x4 Estate
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi, The way I have found for removing the prop shaft is to undo the 4 bolts on the rear diff & transfer box that go to the shaft, undo the 2 center bearing bolts & then support the diff & remove the bolt that goes through that & holds it to the rear axle. The diff will then drop down & the prop shaft will lower from the car.
However there could be a easier way of doing it that I'm overlooking.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
cfh

Post by cfh »

David wrote:Hi, The way I have found for removing the prop shaft is to undo the 4 bolts on the rear diff & transfer box that go to the shaft, undo the 2 center bearing bolts & then support the diff & remove the bolt that goes through that & holds it to the rear axle. The diff will then drop down & the prop shaft will lower from the car.
However there could be a easier way of doing it that I'm overlooking.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your input David.
When I get the car over the pit I shall have a look at your suggestion which sounds good to me and could solve the problem at the centre bearing join (doughnuts) and splined spigot.
As and when I eventually get this done, I will give an account here which will include photo's of the operation with text descriptors.
I believe that the doughnut-flange joint is originally tightened off car as the amount of torque needed to undo the bolts is certainly a job for someone more powerful than I or my mechanic friend.

Regards
Chris.
BX 4x4 Estate
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Chris, I can't remember how I got the prop shaft out but don't remember any real problems. I also don't remember any issue with removing the bearing from the shaft, whether it was an interference fit or slightly less tight - unfortunately a few years back. The Mercedes part i bought had the support and rubber diaphram into which I inserted a new bearing using a Loctite adhesive to adhere the outer bearing race to the rubber - seems to have worked ok. I was obviously able to tap the new bearing onto the shaft without trouble. I've got photos of the old bearing detached from the support - you're right it goes much higher around the bearing that the Merc part - hence the packing pieces I used. If I knew how to add photos to this reply I could show the parts.
Good luck with your progress.
Gordon
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
cfh

Post by cfh »

Gordon wrote:Chris, I can't remember how I got the prop shaft out but don't remember any real problems. I also don't remember any issue with removing the bearing from the shaft, whether it was an interference fit or slightly less tight - unfortunately a few years back. The Mercedes part i bought had the support and rubber diaphram into which I inserted a new bearing using a Loctite adhesive to adhere the outer bearing race to the rubber - seems to have worked ok. I was obviously able to tap the new bearing onto the shaft without trouble. I've got photos of the old bearing detached from the support - you're right it goes much higher around the bearing that the Merc part - hence the packing pieces I used. If I knew how to add photos to this reply I could show the parts.
Good luck with your progress.
Gordon

Many thanks Gordon for the above.

If I remember to, I will post the method I used to get piccies included with the last post, when you've found it you'll find it easy.
I will try to send a photo of the centre bearing on my 4x4 which is the same as for the Pug 4x4.

Chris.

n.b When you have finished your text entry, scroll down to - upload attachment - click on the - Browse - button, this will take you to your hard disc drive.
choose from where you store your pics, next choose the pic or file you want to include, (press open) the name of the file will appear next to the Browse button.
Use the box below the Browse button to enter info or text to suit. Click on "add the file" a progress box will open with a slider bar to monitor the progress of including the file/piccy. Click - Submit -button and say a little prayer. Important .HTML & .rtf files are not accepted. I recommend .jpg files, and all should be well. #-o
BX 4x4 Estate
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Here's the original prop shaft bearing support hanger
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

First attempt jpeg's too large, now reduced
Attachments
New bearing and support
New bearing and support
original showing bearing having detached from rubber
original showing bearing having detached from rubber
Original prop shaft bearing and support
Original prop shaft bearing and support
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

And here's the final bearing and support installed with packing
Attachments
4x4 new bearing and support fitted 2.jpg
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
cfh

Post by cfh »

Gordon wrote:And here's the final bearing and support installed with packing
Thankyou. The piccies are so good and tell the story superbly. Did you use studs to hold the bearing cap on?
Would you recommend using self locking nuts on the studs and , are the studs H.T?

This is a very helpful post.

Regards
Chris. :D
BX 4x4 Estate
cfh

Post by cfh »

Hello Gordon,
Among the posts of this topic I have read of a noise from under the car attributed to the gear box or splines. I also had a similar problem but only during rainfall whilst driving at high speeds. This I now attribute to the rubber of the centre prop bearing beginning to fail and the spray from under the car collecting and travelling along the prop, hitting the failing rubber and being thrown off hitting the u/side of car - or the prop moves concentrically and does the same. The sound stops with a reduction in road speed.

Regards
Chris.
Last edited by cfh on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BX 4x4 Estate
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Chris, I don't think I used anything special for the bolts holding the bearing cap/diaphram in place. A lock nut, and nut done up tight. They're still in place although admittedly I don't do much mileage in the 4x4.
Regarding the noise in the rain, funny you should mention that. I experienced exactly the same thing, together with vibration, and easing off the throttle it stopped and I could then pick up speed. Never did know what caused it. Haven't driven the car enough subsequent to the prop shaft bearing replacement and clutch change in the rain to know if it was indeed the failed rubber diaphram. After your comment I think the vibration and noise was the prop shaft but why this occurred in the rain I don't know.

Cheers.Gordon
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX