Tie-rods

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Tie-rods

Post by toddao »

Are these interchangeable left and right? I've seen a parts place offering L/H and R/H versions though interestingly Citroen only has availability for L/H ones which has led me to believe that perhaps they are the same?

Many other parts factors only offer one type. Can anyone explain?

Cheers!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Inner ends are interchangeable, outer ends are not. Part #:s 95 496 044 (left), 95 496 045 (right). (I presume the parts are the same for right/left hand driven models.)
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

What's the difference then Riku? And I wonder why only the L/H one is available from Citroen - maybe all the R/H ones wore out quicker?

So this is the inner part. Does this require a special tool to remove/ fit? And if the outer link balljoints are kaputt is it likely this will be too?

Last edited by toddao on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Todd

rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

The location of outer end ball joint does not coincide with the inner end's axis:

BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ah, thanks for the pic. I just added an edit to my previous post. This is all new to me..
Todd

rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

toddao wrote:So this is the inner part. Does this require a special tool to remove/ fit? And if the outer link balljoints are kaput is it likely this will be too?
No special tools are needed, just a good plumber's wrench or similar. In my experience (80 000 km per year on our family's BX:s, partly on quite bad roads), the outer ends wear at least twice as quickly as the inner ends.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

And another comment: it makes life a lot easier if you change the tie rods one side at a time, and adjust the wheel alignment in between. If you don't have proper wheel alignment measuring tools at hand, just choose a long straight strip of road, and check the steering wheel alignment prior to the change; then, after changing the tie rods on each side adjust the amount of exposed thread so that the car travels straight with the steering wheel in the same position.

Since there probably was some play prior to the change, you won't get perfect angles with this method, but it's better than nothing until you can properly measure the toe (should be toe-out 0 to 3 mm). And checking the toe separately after each side also helps to ensure that the track rod will not move from its centre position due to the adjustment operations.
Last edited by rmattila on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Once I've removed the tie-rod 'ends' I should then be able to feel the condition of the inner axial joints hopefully? If I have to renew all of it, how do I get the adjustment correct with the amount of thread or do I just measure it off from how it is now?

I'm having to replace every bearing and balljoint in the front end of my break as they've all been neglected by previous cowboy(s) owners so I suppose the inner one will be cactus too!

Thanks for the info Riku..

Edit: I see you just posted while I was writing back
Todd

rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

toddao wrote:Once I've removed the tie-rod 'ends' I should then be able to feel the condition of the inner axial joints hopefully?
I suppose that would be easier to do after undoing the outer end ball joints, but prior to detaching them from the inner ends. Easier to get a good grip of the outer end shaft than the tiny thread which makes the inner end.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.