BX autobox kickdown cable removal.....

BX Tech talk
Kevin B
BXpert

BX autobox kickdown cable removal.....

Post by Kevin B »

Could someone advise how to go about correctly removing the kickdown cable from the Automatic gearbox on a Citroen Bx.

At the location where the kickdown cable enters the autobox, right next to it, seems to be a large removable bung that is held in place with a snap ring. This blanking plug looks like its removal would allow access into the autobox and to the end of the cable that is secured inside the autobox?????

Any advice would be appreciated.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Access to the end of the kickdown cable is via the gearbox sump, then remove the hydraulic block and you should be able to get at it.

Not a job for the faint hearted.

Why do you want it off?
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

ken newbold wrote: Why do you want it off?
Its presently on a very low milage scrapyard car (1.9 auto petrol hatchback), that I have being recovering various parts from for a while. Incuding a very tasty Webber carb.

Being as there is now a recent unplanned addition to my BX fleet in the form of a BX 1.9 Auto petrol estate (I couldn't force myself to turn down a free car :wink: ).

So I have being using this opportunity to aqquire a some good condition s/h spares that are specific to the Automatic transmission version. As I cannot see these items becoming any easier or cheaper to locate in the future.

In light of your valued advice I am tending towards taking the complete autobox on my next visit if the price is agreeable.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Kickdown cable is a pig to get at, and they rarely fail, providing you keep the top end of the cable lubricated.
A complete grearbox makes more sense. Also do get the gearshift cable, these are like hens teeth.