BX TZD Engine Job

BX Tech talk
djm666
BXpert

BX TZD Engine Job

Post by djm666 »

I recently found myself with a nearly brand new 12000km engine from a written off Peugeot 405. car was written off 15 years ago and the farmer who had the engine was converting the flywheel to fit it into a Lada Riva. thank god he wrote that off before he could fit it. he got hold of me and i bought it. anyway

Got the BX with a head gasket gone. thought yeah i can fit the 405 engine in there.

so it began. had a look at the camshaft found it to be slightly different. no problem. i machined my Hydraulic pump pulley to fit the end. then i drilled the camshaft and cut a thread into it. then i drilled and pinned it with a large grub screw. and that was that. then i changed over a few sensors as it was a late model XUD9 and i have one of the last BX Hatchbacks. so no drama at all.

then the engine was supplied without a waste gate control for the turbo. so i set to work making one up for the min. untill i get a proper one from my mate in the uk.

all i am waiting for now is the clutch and other parts to arrive from me mate in the uk and it will be going back together very soon.

i am now off to strip the gearbox and do some well needed checks.

I have always stripped the gearbox when i have it out as i had a TZD that threw a diff bolt out of the case one day. so make sure if you are doing a clutch to check the diff bolts and the fith gear nuts. i replace mine when i do clutches.

will be good once it is done.

My garage at the moment looks like this:

I dont trust anybody to do anything on my car as there is nothing i cant do.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

looks like you've cornered the NZ market in white BX's!
djm666
BXpert

White BX

Post by djm666 »

Yeah i have found myself totally by accident with all white BX's. there will be another white one turn up when i get back from australia. in june.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

what on earth is that gearbox out of??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
djm666
BXpert

bx rebuild

Post by djm666 »

Yeah the gearbox in the background is one out of a Subaru Legacy. had to rebuild another one for my brothers car. he is fully into Subaru's loves them.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I bought a complete new XU9 head off Ebay which was supposedly for a BX but, like you're saying, the cam doesn't have the flange for the pump pulley so it's probably Peugeot. I only found out when I came to replace a broken cam. I'll have to follow your example and machine it to fit.

I see you like white BXs particularly and what's that sticker on the door?

Maybe you want to have a pause on the BXs to fix that bit of your house that looks as though it's gone rotten on the corner? :D ( That'll let the weather in)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Make sure the head has the oil feed to the head mounted vacuum pump blacked off, otherwise you will lose 'rather a lot' of oil...

IIRC they all have a tapped hole on the HP end of the head, but is blanked off on BXs and Xantias. I've seen it blanked with either a hex headed brass grub screw or a ball bearing hammered into place!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
djm666
BXpert

engine job

Post by djm666 »

yeah i made up the plug for the head. as the peugeot one was just a hole for the oil drain back.

i can draw up what i did to the cam and the pulley to make it fit. really was simple did it all myself with the tools i have here at home. me and my dad holding a camshaft still while i drill it in the garage was funny. did not want to put it in the vice as i dont have any soft clamps yet.

i just really wanted to keep the engine with its original cam as it has only done 12000. i made up the wastegate control the other day as it was missing. i made up a controller for it out of an old CX idle adjustment screw. and i have bought a gauge for it so i can make sure not to over boost.

The stickers on the car are my business. i have started up fixing and repairing european cars in nelson new zealand. it is slowly taking off. me, my brothers and dad are all working together. a real family affair.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85