Uprated tailgate struts?

BX Tech talk
Matt H
1K Away

Uprated tailgate struts?

Post by Matt H »

Has anybody ever dabbled with this? I've found that the struts on the P2 valver struggle to hold the tailgate and massive (extremely heavy) spoiler.

I've noticed this before with other 16vs but it would be nice to sort it. As far as I'm aware they are the same as all other BXs... So is there an alternative?
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

is the xm one the same or different?
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I haven't checked to be honest... I could measure them up if any XM owners want to compare length :lol:

Another question. Does ambient temperature affect performance, because it is rather warm today, any they seem to be performing better than they were last week??
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

The short answer is "Yes!" The gas-filled capsule has a higher internal pressure when warm than when cold, so its effect is noticeably more pronounced.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Matt H wrote:Does ambient temperature affect performance, because it is rather warm today, any they seem to be performing better than they were last week??
This probably means that the struts have lost pressure and need replacement. You will likely find that if you want to skimp on cost then you can replace just one side with a new one and it will work acceptably.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The struts on my TRD struggle to cope with the add-on GT spoiler and louvres but they do hold it once it's open.

I was advised by a local eccentric mechanic that problems with struts were solved by carrying a broomstick in the back to prop it open with! His favourite tools are both canned : WD40 sprayed on everything then a lick of silver spray to make it look new. Instant 'new' exhaust for example with loads of overspray! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

toddao wrote:His favourite tools are both canned : WD40 sprayed on everything then a lick of silver spray to make it look new. Instant 'new' exhaust for example with loads of overspray! :D
We had a silver Mini like that once, not just silver spray though, it was Christmas spray. It stopped being quite so silver when it rained...

Oh, and I'm interested to know if there is a source for new/uprated ones as my lid is hardly supported until fully open.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

These guys will re-gas or uprate them to your needs, + yes different strutts were fitted to different models, break, spoiler fitted etc.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... te+strutts
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.