how do I remove the alternator on 1.9 TXD

BX Tech talk
Vince Pepper
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1989 PH2 16v. White
Seat Leon FR. Whiter

how do I remove the alternator on 1.9 TXD

Post by Vince Pepper »

I need to take the alternator off my TXD, I have only run the car in the dark twice since I bought it recently and both times the lights went dim after 10 min's or so, then not enough charge to restart the car, charged up the battery and tried again a few days later, same thing it run the battery down, had the alternator checked by a local garage and they said it wasn't charging ( only 11.7 volts showing with engine running ), my haynes only covers petrol models, any help will be most appreciated.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Disconnect the battery, then look for the adjuster mechanism just above the alternator. You'll see a long 10mm bolt facing rearwards, slacken this off and look for the 13mm nut and bolt that pinches the alternator in place, remove this nut.
Then get a 21mm spanner (I think) on the big pivot bolt that is found under the alternator, unscrew this and pull it towards the o/s wing, no need to remove it completely.
Then the alternator should lift up and juggle it out. Unscrew the main cable nut and disconnect the spade terminal.
You may need to unclamp the main LHM pipes above the alternator to get access. :)
Vince Pepper
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1989 PH2 16v. White
Seat Leon FR. Whiter

Post by Vince Pepper »

thanks for the reply, I managed to remove it ok, collecting a new one monday afternoon from GSF, £54.00 +vat.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Is this an exchange unit? if not keep hold of your old one as it's most likely just the brushes that have worn down and can easily be changed if you come across one that has failed bearings, making one good one out of the two. :)