BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

It's going to end up a spherical aberration #-o
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i have never resorted to the hammer/chisle method,

and the seem people are talking about is a weld joint were the two halves of the sphere are welded together,

this is the type below of chain wrench i use with a 2 foot tube over the end, had it for quite a few year with no prob's,

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=175239

if the handle of your wrench has bent it aint the right type,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mountainmanUK
Confirmed BX'er

Post by mountainmanUK »

I bought one of these around 4 years ago. Used it several times.....always successfully! :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citroen-xanta-sph ... 43a6cf5413
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

citronut wrote:http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=175239

if the handle of your wrench has bent it aint the right type,
I've had my chain wrench for over 20 years and only used it to remove oil filters. I think it was one of the cheapo varieties though, handle NOT entirely like yours
Last edited by BX Meteor on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i do have a second sphere removal tool of the type we used to have in citroen service workshops,

which is similar to that ebay thingy but far more substantial,

and the band is split spring steel with a 17mm pinch bolt to pull it together tight against the sphere, once attatched you just give it one or possibly two swipes with a club hammer,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

citronut wrote:i do have a second sphere removal tool of the type we used to have in Citroën service workshops,

which is similar to that ebay thingy but far more substantial,

and the band is split spring steel with a 17mm pinch bolt to pull it together tight against the sphere, once attatched you just give it one or possibly two swipes with a club hammer,

regards malcolm
The one from ebay came yesterday. It's obviously not Citroen, probably "homebrew", looks like a blacksmith made it one day when he had no horseshoes to make !!
Last edited by BX Meteor on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

BX Meteor wrote:The offiside went loose in less than a quarter tuirn, the nearside was tight for more than quarter turn, so then I put suspension to low and it went loose as well. Not sure why that is :?:
Because hydraulic pressure was still inside the sphere and creating tightness at the threads. This why we said you should just crack the spheres and then release the pressure.

You may have just had a close shave .............. :wink:
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

It's a long thread so I don't see the danger, unless you're proposing it's a squirt of fluid that would cut me at 2000 psi, which is possible, but I was at arms length anyway (I don't fancy working under a car with pipes at 2000 psi in the first place)
Last edited by BX Meteor on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Methinks thou dost protest too much .................. :wink: :lol:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

its more the damage the shpere might do when being propeled by the force of the citro blood under presure :twisted: ,

besides that it could also damage the thread in the suspension unit,

i have seen fluid shot a good few yards from a completly dead sphere removed that is full of presurised citro blood,
and that is with the system de/presureised,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

citronut wrote:....i have seen fluid shot a good few yards....
It wasn't Peter North's BX, was it? ;)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

not sure what the pressure is on the spheres on high suspension, but assuming it's approx 100 bar .... then that would be equivalent to a depth of 1km below the sea.

The Soviets made some titanium double-hulled nuclear submarines that could reach that depth.

On January 23 1960 a manned submersible the Trieste reached the bottom of the Mariana Trench in the Pacific, approx 10km down.

I saw a documentary about that years ago and they said that water through a pin-hole in the hull would cut a person in half :shock:
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

BX Meteor wrote:I saw a documentary about that years ago and they said that water through a pin-hole in the hull would cut a person in half :shock:
Look on the bright side. You're never alone with schizophrenia. :lol:

As an aside - I think you'll find that the Alfa class subs couldn't actually reach the astonishing depths claimed by the Soviet Union - and for the same reasons their (ripped-off) copy of Concorde, The Tupolev T111 couldn't fly supersonic (or in inclement weather .... or when there was an 'R' in the month). Quality control, materials and technology. The one Russian submarine that did get really deep is still on the bottom of the Barents sea - the Komsomolets.

I used to teach Intel stuff in the army and I think you'll find that the Alfa myth contained a lot of propaganda. However, the Alfas DID have hydraulic suspension - when submerged. This was a rather neat trick that would be a bit of a deal-closer for a BX. :lol:

They may have been good, but not THAT good! :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i though the Rusky's version of Concord was knicknamed topploff,
as it fell out of the sky,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

another documentary ... on the real reason for the Concordski crash at the Paris air show

the French had a Mirage fighter up in the clouds filming the Concordski because it had similar canard winglets that the French had on their Mirage. Unfortunately they did not tell the russian pilot of Concordski and while he was climbing he saw it in the clouds and he pushed Concordski into a dive to avert a collision. As Concodrski went over the top, its engines stalled (this would happen to most engines of that era) and he kept Concordski in a dive while trying to restart the engines.

When the engines restarted he had run out of room and it broke up when he tried to pull it out of the dive (this would also happen to many planes when pulled fiercely out of a steep dive).

There was a secret meeting between the russians and the french, and they agreed to keep this secret and the french paid off the russians, and the russians decided not to continue with concordski as by then everyone knew supersonic passenger planes were not economical. This secreat went past the 30 year rule and the documentary was made just over 10 years ago.