Heater temperature control knob

BX Tech talk
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Heater temperature control knob

Post by Turbo Killer »

The temp control will not operate from the knob on the dash, i have removed heater control panel and the wire attached at the back seems fine, it looks as though the wire and its sleeve are all moving together. I have removed the panel from under the steering column and manipulated the linkage i can reach by hand and it does operate. Should the outer shroud of the wire be fastened somewhere by a clip and is this problem i am experiencing common, before i remove any more trim are there any tips to make this linkage work as it should?
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Sounds like your heater valve is stuck.
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes, the outer cable should be fixed by a spring clip. Look at the other cables and you'll see the clips in place.

They are very fiddly to mess about with unless you have 3 hands, plus the cables are short which doesn't help.
The heater control cable is also quite stiff to operate thus the clips can be sprung off :(
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Cheers lads.
Bit of a strange one!
I ran the car up to temp and turned the fan on high, i then moved the linkage under the dash by hand so the knob was indicating cold and i got nice cold air, i then moved it to hot and i got hot air, when i manipulate the linkage the knob moves OK, but when i want to alter the temp with the knob it meets some resistance and although it does move, but when released it goes back to its original position before. I think the linkage may need some adjustment?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The whole lot is moving.

Take out the control unit and try getting some oil or silicone lubricant down the cable before refitting it.

If you can't find the spring clip, I'm sure I have some somewhere.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

ken newbold wrote:The whole lot is moving.

Take out the control unit and try getting some oil or silicone lubricant down the cable before refitting it.

If you can't find the spring clip, I'm sure I have some somewhere.
Cheers, i managed to spot the retaining spring clip, its a bit like what would be on a choke/throttle cable near a carb. It is holding the outer shroud so this is not the problem, i'll try to get lubricant down the cable.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Just had another good look at the cable set up, i only looked for the retaining clip at the heater valve end, the other two cables at the control switch end have retaining clips, the one one the heat control is missing, so it looks like i need a clip....anybody got a spare i could buy of them :oops:
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi, if you can't attach the clip to that cable, I had the same problem and was resolved: see this link with picture:
Good luck

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Thank you for all the offers for clips, two arrived from Ken =D> this morning, i just need to fit it now, not much room is there!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i would think if it spings back when released the inner could be bent,

this usualy happens at the control end were the inner is exposed, between the outter and the mechanisum,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Good point /\

Check for bends and kinks on the inner cable as well at the control end.
Recommend as much lubricant down the cable as possible to assist movement and prevent the outer from being pushed back out of the clip again.
Thoroughly work the cable by hand (pliers) to get it moving freely.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Thanks for the tips, but the wire moves freely, i can hold the outer shroud and and operate the wire with no problems, as many of you already know, the outer cable is just too short to get into position to put the clip on.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yeah its an awkward fiddly job. This cable must cost about 50 guineas and inch :evil: