confused about the octopus - part 2

BX Tech talk
BX Meteor
BXpert

confused about the octopus - part 2

Post by BX Meteor »

I am continuing this from thread
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14308

Hopefully a few pictures might help in forming a definition of the Octopus, using a numbering from the pipes on the reservoir, which I will describe after the following two pictures.

The first picture here is taken from Haynes Citroen BX (petrol) 1983 to 1987, ISBN 1 85010 407 7, which I have had since 1987.
DSCF0210.jpg

In the next picture I have used the same numbering
DSCF0206a.jpg

The Haynes manual says the following
1 Front and rear suspension overflow return
2 Security Valve and front/rear height correctos
3 Breather
4 Vent pipe - front cylinders
5 Operational return/overflow return from brake control valve
6 Operational return from pressure regulator and height correctors
7 HP pump suction hose

As far as I know, the Octopus is made up of pipes 1/2/4, so if anyone wants to check they can look at their reservoir and follow those pipes down into the bowels of the engine compartment.

Also as far as I know, these are 3 separate systems, but if the Octopus is replaced then all 3 are replaced at the same time with one Citroen part, which is part number 96 030 258, Item 2 in fiche Citroen BX Series II (Set MIC 01235) page 177, 3944. If you look long enough at the diagram on the fiche, it can be seen that this item is made up of many pipes which are joined together at one point like a Siamese-twin.

If I am wrong, feel free to say how/where. because I personally have never had to replace any of the major return piping, and as can be seen on my photo, I may be lucky in never having to do so because they all seem in very good condition considering the car was actually built 20 years ago.

EDIT 5th May 2011 I've added a screenshot of the fiche and put the numbers on it:
0002.jpg

EDIT 6th Feb 2021 !!
I was clearing out my photobucket albums - one called "BX" - and decided to cross-check before deleting the album. It seems that I'd moved several of the image locations in phtobucket, so they hadn't been picked up in the forum. The ones in this post were 3 of those that were moved, I've added them into the post, just in case anyone ever sees the thread.
Last edited by BX Meteor on Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the main octapussy has 10 or 11 pipes comeing to and from it, this includes the 4 spouts that the plastic trickle returns go into,

its been quite a while since i last fitted one,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: confused about the octopus - part 2

Post by Way2go »

BX Meteor wrote:
If I am wrong, feel free to say how/where. because I personally have never had to replace any of the major return piping, and as can be seen on my photo, I may be lucky in never having to do so because they all seem in very good condition considering the car was actually built 20 years ago.
You are still confusing yourself by incorrectly focussing on the LHM tank! These are but the ends of only 3 tentacles of the Octopus which lives in the depths between engine and subframe. When the Octopus fails it usually ruptures on the moulded sections where all the pipes come together underneath the engine. The piping at the tank can look magnificent and yet the green blood can still be pissing out from the octopus itself.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

and you will loose more than sick squid's worth of citro blood :lol:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Ho ho, ho. :)

Indeed you will. I don't think my brother's drive will ever be the same again...
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Well my post is not "is my octopus in good condition" but "am I correct in saying that the octupus consists of pipes 1 and 2 and 4 in the three pictires"

vote YES or NO for the Alternative Vulgarus-octopus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_vulgaris

But seriously, I assume that my pictures define the octopus for everyone, the octopus is one part that terminates on the reservoir at positions 1 and 2 and 4 in the three pictures.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I found this picture of 2 octopii - one that looks as it should at the top and below it one that looks decidedly ill. I hope it helps clear things up. (Should be easier than clearing up all the bloody LHM under my BX... :( )

Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Love it, first time I've ever seen one, ever ever, in all of the infamous history of this genus.

I take it that the three pipes disappearing to the left would go direct to positions 1 and 2 and 4 on the reservoir (in my pics)
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Here's a picture of the split that appeared in the brand new one we installed. How is anyone's guess...

Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

must have been a faulty batch

how difficult is it to replace one of these ?

does it connect directly up to the reservoir (positions 1,2,4) ?

where/how is the "body" secured down in the engine compartment ?

can the "body" be dissected so that, if one part of the 3 systems splits, that part can be cut away and replaced with a "home-brew" return for that part ?

NB: other people have suggested using air-lines (or similar) as different returns.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Someone else should answer those questions... my BX is still sitting in a green puddle with no wheels on... :(
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

well you're the ideal candidate for the first 2 questions :wink:
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Ok...well here goes...
BX Meteor wrote:how difficult is it to replace one of these ?
I don't know - I haven't managed to do it yet! It's therefore more complicated than I thought it would be, but I don't know how much more...
BX Meteor wrote:does it connect directly up to the reservoir (positions 1,2,4) ?
Yes, unless I'm hopelessly wrong it does.
BX Meteor wrote:where/how is the "body" secured down in the engine compartment ?
Mine was sort of positioned on the crossmember, held down only by its connections IIRC.

The problem was that the octopus was bodged before I got the car, and it's impossible for a novice like me to know what was in the right place and what wasn't..
BX Meteor wrote:can the "body" be dissected so that, if one part of the 3 systems splits, that part can be cut away and replaced with a "home-brew" return for that part ?
Everything I've read would lead me to believe it can.

I hope this helps somehow.. :oops:
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

well it gives me a bit of confidence should my octopus ever fail, IMO the octopus is THE Achiles Heel of the BX. I would be tempted to scrap or sell my BX if the octopus fails, but now I have seen your pics I might attempt it should I ever need to.

IMO Citroen were not thinking of the difficulty of maintenance by combining 3 return systems into 1 part, they should have kept them separate.

If anyone ever needs to know what/where/how the octopus is on the BX, this thread should give all the info required.

It's a shame you live so far away from Loughborough, I'd come and give a hand. Good luck though !!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Thanks Brian. I'm sure I'll get it sorted - my brother does all the crawling about under cars as my illness pretty much prevents it now, and he's perhaps less likely to grasp the concepts of what's going on with the hydraulics than I am.

We both got pretty dispirited when the car drove back fine, and next morning was sitting in a 5' puddle of LHM over the neighbours drive (when I promised her it wouldn't leak...)

Buying a new in the bag octopus only to have it fail the moment it was fitted was another kick to the balls, and started me doubting the car's future. I'm pretty much over that now, it WILL be sorted, and it's next on the list really, though there'll be some frantic stuff going on when I take delivery of the CX parts car, and collect the Visa convertible.

Other than that it is top of the list... :oops:
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk