Could this happen to a BX?

BX Tech talk
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Could this happen to a BX?

Post by Dickster665 »

This thread appeared on Aussiefrogs http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89347

Could a BX manage to propel a suspension strut into the bonnet? Having seen what carnage such a failure caused to a steel bonnet, I don't fancy that a plastic bonnet would fare so well.

If this type of failure can occur, what sort of component inspection/replacement is required to lower the risk?

Cheers
Dicky
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's a known early Xantia problem, sorted for the later stuff, as for BX you could have similar excitement but it wont be a failed mounting it'll be rust. :) Gibbo.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

This is a well-known issue and is simply the Macpherson strut punching through a rotten suspension turret. IIRC, most Macpherson setups can do this in cases of advanced corrosion.

It's nothing to do with the hydraulics - it's just a gravity thing (coupled with rubbish UK roads). IT's pretty annoying when it happens though, as it tends to ruin the paintwork on the bonnet. :wink:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Thats sent many a Xantia to an early grave, last year I had the drivers side on my Xantia replaced as it was rotten, Ive never seen it happen in a BX, but I kow its rife with XM's.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Plenty more examples of this problem on FCF, Xantia strut-top corrosion rate tends to be worse than on XM's but still suffer the same fate if not attended to in time !

:(

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Isn't the issue in this case failure of the rubber strut mount (either debonding from the metal, or tearing) rather than simply corrosion? Anyway, I haven't heard of it happening on BXs for either reason (yet!)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Bob the reason this is so dramatic on aXANT or XM is the strut is under hydraulic presure,

it doesnt usualy happen as dramaticly on a conventional Mcy strut as the shockabsourber does not have the same sort of push, as it only controls the coil spring rebound,

and no Matt
more offten than not what happens is the rubber starts to de/bond then damp/water gets in and rotts the metal sections,

and as yet i have never seen a BX do this,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

citronut wrote:it doesnt usualy happen as dramaticly on a conventional Mcy strut as the shockabsourber does not have the same sort of push, as it only controls the coil spring rebound,
It's not the shock absorber, but rather the coil spring that exerts the upward force on a conventional MacPherson strut. However, compared to the proper hydropneumatic variant (which becomes a missile when set free), the coil spring has a limited travel, and thus the consequences of the said event on a vehicle with iron-age suspension are typically rather less spectacular.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

and usualy the coil spring upper seat is under the inner wing turret,
and the lower mount is welded to the strut/leg body,

so the spring is trying to push the leg/strut body away and downwards from under the inner wing,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Thanks for putting me straight on that Malcolm ............ I'd read about this on other Citroen fora - and obviously got half the story. scratch... :-# :wink:
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Since I am in Australia the likelihood of the suspension mounting position in chassis or the suspension top mount corroding to the point of failure before the rubber buffer inside fails is remote. So if the rubber failed could the suspension escape through the hole in the top?

This is what they seem to be saying in the 'Aussiefrogs' thread that it was a rubber failure rather than a corrosion related issue.

I am afraid it is a bit hypothetical as I live in the driest state in the driest continent in the world the conditions are very different to Britain So a rubber failure has probably not been experienced over there. I am just hoping that someone who has removed front suspension units on a regular basis could clarify whether it is possible or not.

Are the top mounting assemblies expensive?

Cheers
Dicky
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as you say its a diferent situation pver there to here, but if it has been on Aussiefrogs im sure it is probable,

it realy depends on the diaminters of the openning's of the metal parts inside the bonded rubber, to what will go were if the rubber de/laminates/breaks up,

last time i checked the price they were around the £140 ish quid over here anyway,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest that it is very unlikely that this sort of carnage is going to occur on my BX. I can now get on with all those jobs that really need doing on my BX rather than creating new ones.
Cheers
Dicky
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

Dicky, why not have a chat with either Shane on aussiefrogs, he doesn't bite....honest! or EricBM, also on aussie frogs... he lives not far from you, and I think he has a uk model BX TZD
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

smiffy1071 wrote:Dicky, why not have a chat with either Shane on aussiefrogs, he doesn't bite....honest! or EricBM, also on aussie frogs... he lives not far from you, and I think he has a uk model BX TZD
Shane might bite if you tell him you like XMs... :oops:
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk