Changing the BX diesel engine

BX Tech talk
rmattila
BXpert

Changing the BX diesel engine

Post by rmattila »

Some documentation of the fun I had last weekend:

http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... ne_change/

This time, I tried captioning the pics in English (even though I think the main information is in the pictures and does not depend on the commentary).

-Riku
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Excellent write up Riku! =D> =D>
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Proper job Riku,

Well done bud. Hope she goes for many more years.

Andy
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

riku - i think it'd take me all weekend just to figure out how to get the rear wheels on the ramps with, the car on its arse, engine not working!
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

sdelasal wrote:riku - i think it'd take me all weekend just to figure out how to get the rear wheels on the ramps with, the car on its arse, engine not working!
It helps to have a towbar: first push the car on a couple of planks to get clearance for the jack to fit under the towbar, then lift it up and kick the ramps in place. But I think the same approach - perhaps slightly modified - could be used even without the towbar.

Taking the car home, however, poses some difficulties: this time it broke rather close to home, but if it should happen further away, it would be nice to have equipment to enable towing. I've been thinking about machining a couple of "things" equipped with coil springs to fit in place of the rear suspension spheres that could fitted in under emergency situations on the road to enable the car to be taken on its own wheels to the drydock. This is still very much in the concept stage, but it keeps getting back to my mind every now and then.. :wink:
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

ummmm, for the number of times that it would be needed, it's surely too much effort to goto isn't it?

As long as you have a hard floor, and the tyres aren't flat, then a cheap scissor jack (remember those?) should be able to get under a citroen with no hydraulic pressure.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

smiffy1071 wrote:ummmm, for the number of times that it would be needed, it's surely too much effort to goto isn't it?
Well, as I see it, even one occasion would be too much, if you can't tow the car home and must leave it in the middle of nowhere (with my luck it would be 100 km unpaved roads to the nearest village..). I heard that appropriately machined nylon plugs have succesfully been used in the suspension cylinders to give some suspension and enable towing. I think I will make a couple of those in my travelling pack along with the hydraulic pipe fixing/plugging tools.
As long as you have a hard floor, and the tyres aren't flat, then a cheap scissor jack (remember those?) should be able to get under a Citroën with no hydraulic pressure.
And you can always push the car on soft ground and dig a hole for the jack. :wink:
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.