Various niggles - DIY or garage?

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I'm not too bad with fiddly (finally got round to fitting the new oil filler today), certainly very good at getting filthy, but have neither of those tools. It would probably be a good idea to get one.

Any idea how much I'd be looking at to pay a garage to do it?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Wooscary wrote:I'm not too bad with fiddly (finally got round to fitting the new oil filler today), certainly very good at getting filthy, but have neither of those tools. It would probably be a good idea to get one.

Any idea how much I'd be looking at to pay a garage to do it?
If you have a ramp and know what your doing its no more than 1/2 hour, as its a case of depressurise the system, unscrew the old one and screw on the new one, but you will need a strap wrench or sphere tool as it is of course round, will be very oily and done up tight!

GSF are probably a good place to get the parts from. Unless there are any BXers near by that can help out.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Did all the spheres on my motor with the help of my mate Tim earlier in the year and i reccon the easiest was the accumulator.

Yep, bought the tool on feebay a few years ago and the tractor ramps made access a piece of cake. Bleeding the system proved a little more difficult as the bleed screw probably had never been turned since new but job done.
I suppose its about 10 seconds till motor rises fully, never been any different, would do my head in if i had to wait a minute or more.
I too must think about changing the green blood. Thats life Jim,but not as we know it as Spock would say.

Andy
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

Item 3

Recently changed all 4 spheres on the estate. Better.
Read about possible accumulator sphere in poor health and so changed that last night.
No longer does it sink after turning the engine off and the brakes appear to be keener also.
Changed the LHM also with filters cleaned.
8) Keep up with the info please :D
Land Rover Discovery TD5
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

catsinthewelder wrote:
The cable then heads upwards though a grommet in the bulkhead to the pedal box. I threaded a cable tie through the new cable and used this to guide it through the grommet. I'd cut a small slot in the grommet as the plastic part on the end of the clutch cable would not pass through. I imagine theres probably a better way (new grommet?)
This is the bit I had trouble with - on the TZD it's simply not possible to get to the rubber boot/grommet from the engine bay - it's held on with a retaining screw which is impossible to access, as well.
I suppose if I'd been desperate to change it (ie if it had broken rather than just being a bit stiff), I'd have split the rubber boot from inside the car so I could get the old cable out and the new one in, and then used some silicone sealant afterwards, but it's not really ideal, is it?
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Changing the LHM is very easy, just a bit messy, and of course disposing of the old stuff isnt easy, it is after all just a big bowl!

Remember to wash the filters out with petrol though.

Many a tired BX has been revived with a fresh set of spheres and new LHM.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I think I'm going to let Westroen in Manchester have a look at the accumulator, and perhaps the other spheres too. They seem very reasonable price-wise. I don't have ramps, a sphere removal tool, or anywhere off the road to do it, and there are only so many oily patches I can clean off the road. Also, last oil change a kid kicked a football within inches of the tray of drained oil. Ha ha.

Just spent a happy (!?) few hours this afternoon wrestling in what felt like a space the size of a matchbox to fit the new fuel filler neck. Damn, that's not an easy one. Again, it just means I'm learning more and am able to remove half the engine in about five minutes now. :D

Next nice small, clean job to do - clock bulb.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Westroen come highly recommended, Mulley swares by them and my mate the previous owner of my TGD turbo took it in every year for 16years to have all the spheres tested & re-charged if neccessary.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've used Westroen before & found them to be great & fitting is free :D They used to clean the lhm tank out for you as well for a fee (think it was £40) a few years back, not sure if they still offer that service, but its easily done yourself so i'd save your cash unless you just don't have the time or inclination to do it yourself. Can't remember if they bled the brakes when doing the tank, might be worth asking :?:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Went to Westroen today, what a great guy.

He pressure tested the spheres, including the accumulator, all were fine. He checked the LHM too and the filters were pretty manky, so flushed and refilled that for me. He thought it could be the pump was a bit weak, causing the slow rising. Makes sense.

Going to the more general garage tomorrow to get the phantom noise looked at, and then driving to London in the evening (and back again) for a London-based colleagues leaving party.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

It now rises really fast from cold, so must have been the filters being filthy.

Went to see Dave at the Citroën Repair Centre in Reddish yesterday, which proved fruitful.

The alarming knocking that started from the near side rear corner the other day was discovered to be the bit of crappy "structure" that holds the exhaust hanger and provides a bit of spacing for the wheel arch. This had, as is apparently common, completely let go, so the wheel was clipping the wheel arch going over bumps. He rehung the exhaust with an ingenious method without any welding, which given a clear head is exactly the way I'd have done it.

I've managed to pull the arch out a bit, but it's going to need a bit of plate welding back in there soon probably to space it properly.

Mystery noise is likely a bearing in the turbo gradually giving up, so I'm going to start asking around for a replacement. Possibly a stupid question, but is it possible to run the engine without the turbo hooked up, to see if the noise it still there without it running?
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

are you sure the N/S/R trailing arm bearing havent died, causeing the wheel to /

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Well that was the obvious and initial thought, but the wheels are both straight up.

The piece of metal that holds the exhaust hanger and attaches to the bumper is rusted through and is just wobbling about, so that seems like the culprit.

The tyres are also 185s, so is that pushing it for clearance anyway? It's always been pretty tight at the back.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Wooscary wrote:
The tyres are also 185s, so is that pushing it for clearance anyway? It's always been pretty tight at the back.
The estates don't have the wider rear arches that (most of) the saloons have, so you're right, there'll be less clearance with wider tyres.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Roverman wrote:Changing the LHM is very easy, just a bit messy, and of course disposing of the old stuff isnt easy, it is after all just a big bowl!
It is if you have an old Diesel Mercedes... ;)
Roverman wrote:Remember to wash the filters out with petrol though.

Many a tired BX has been revived with a fresh set of spheres and new LHM.
A very overlooked and underrated procedure. Clean filters really can make all the difference, even though it sounds a bit 'twee'...
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk