Speedo Cable removal

BX Tech talk
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Speedo Cable removal

Post by Dickster665 »

Could someone please advise how to detach the lower speedo cable from the gearbox for a 1985 BX19GT.

I have managed to get in a few Harry Houdiniesque positions with a torch to try and fathom out what the release mechanism is, but couldn't see it with any clarity.

I have also attempted releasing it by using a 10mm spanner on the flats of the ferrule on the end of the cable but this did not seem to work. Although, boredom may have set in before I made enough progress as I only managed to move the spanner through an arc of around 10° each time I applied it to the ferrule due to obstructions.

The speedo cable is approximately 600mm long if this has any bearing on the removal technique.

Thank you.

Dicky
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Not familiar with the GTI, but in all BX:s I've had the pleasure to encounter (diesels mostly), there has been a rubber pin (# 10 in the picture below) that must be pulled off by grabbing the thick end.

-Riku
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Riku's right (again). :lol: My 1.9GT was secured with the rubber pin, removable with long nosed pliers.

You'll probably find the pin snaps off when you try and remove it - I've seen 4 do this trick. :roll: Try wiggling the speedo cable as you tug on the pin - you might get lucky.

On my GT, I replaced the snapped rubber bung thing with a large steel split pin that I first sheathed in rubber pipe so that it was a snug fit in the original pin's hole in the gearbox housing. Once in position, I just opened up the protruding legs a fraction so it couldn't slide back out, but could still be pulled out later if required with pliers.
Dickster665
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickster665 »

Thanks chaps that has clarified the process for me so I don't damage anything.

I did see the rubber pin but considered it such a poor method of retaining the speedo cable that I disregarded it and assumed it served another purpose.

It looks like it will take a while before I can tune my brain into Gallic design thought process. I quite often wonder what they were up to when I am working on the car. Still the ideosyncratic nature of parts of the design is a refreshing change from our family car, a Toyota Corolla which is a trifle dull, but exceptionally robust and reliable.

Cheers

Dicky