Changing BX fuel tank hoses

BX Tech talk
rmattila
BXpert

Changing BX fuel tank hoses

Post by rmattila »

It's the time of the year when the Break starts behaving badly:

http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... se_change/
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

Great! Very useful - I will replace these rubber hoses too as a precaution when I change the metal pipes (which are very rusty) soon.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Great pics Rikku,

thanks for showing.

Andy
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

Perfect timing as the Red One has a slight diesel weep from somewhere and I was getting ready to dive in. Many thanks. The problem is not so much the small drip as the smell of diesel being gently wafted in through the open windows as I cruise along. Can someone give us the sizes of the flexi fuel hoses so I can order up a couple of lengths ? I see Andy has a new pic with his wagon on the tractor ramps we use - good, eh? Not quite as good as a four-poster but they do the job.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

tim wrote:Can someone give us the sizes of the flexi fuel hoses so I can order up a couple of lengths ?
Supply hose 9X18 mm, length 400 mm (original part # 95 595 042)
Return hose 7X16 mm, length 400 mm (original part # 79 05 026 821)

but any 7 & 9 mm internal diameter hoses will do, provided they withstand fuel and are mechanically strong enough.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
catsinthewelder
The Big J

Post by catsinthewelder »

Thanks, this has come at very helpful time.

I've been crawling round under my 19NA today and noticed a wet patch on the sill under the o/s rear door, curiosity led to diesel everywhere.

Motor factors in the morning then :)
Ex BXer
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

Job done - couldn't stand the smell any longer. Thanks Rikku, just what I needed. I took off the plastic cover and the problem was immediately obvious - diesel pooling in the recess under the hose stubs. It was overflowing, running down the side of the tank and causing the wetness and smell. The pipes were OK as such but someone from the Bodgit & Leggit franchise had obviously not realised that there were two different hose sizes until too late and they'd tried to fit a 3/8"" pipe on the 7mm stub, hoping the Jubilee clip would make up for the bodge. Never works, ever, didn't work this time.
For the first timer, I'd suggest a couple of things. Allow a bit of extra length on the pipe rather than cutting to exact size, then you have room to get the hose secured on the lower end where it fits over the solid pipe; then you can pull it up and trim the top end to suit. Also, as well as tying a knot in the wire you use as a 'pull-through' I incorporated a washer into the knot - then you can really pull without worrying about the wire pulling through the pipe. However, it is easy to push the wire back down to the chassis from the top so 'losing' it is not a real problem.
Next job - tidying up the back end with kurust and paint so's I can get the bumper back on.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well done bud.

Andy