slow to rise

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Malcolm wrote
when struts and or rear suspension units get old there seals may not hold mains system presure,

so this can cause the car to sink quickly after engine off,
That's interesting, something to consider - what seals are these in the rear struts?
I rebuilt the doseur on my yellow break and it stays up longer than before but only for 2-3 hours max. One of the seals is no longer available so I used a Viton seal that was the same diameter but ever so slightly smaller in width - perhaps a factor? The brakes are ferocious now though!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

toddao wrote:That's interesting, something to consider - what seals are these in the rear struts?
These will be the strut piston seals allowing more than normal leak-off into the returns.
When the leak-off flow exceeds the capacity of returns it blows the lines apart as I experienced on a front strut letting go. :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I've got a rear strut lying around - I'll go and have a look. Are the seals still available? Pleides perhaps?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
tzd
BXpert

slow to rise

Post by tzd »

MULLEY wrote:How low is the car when it sinks, is it of on its bumpstops? If so the rise time i reckon isn't too bad, if its only about half way down from the normal ride height then possibly a small issue? Also, when it rises does it do it smoothly or is it in jerks?
Hi Mulley,
when I start the car it is after a night of standing so it is pretty much on the floor. When it rises it used to jerk quite a bit but I have recently stopped my struts from grumbling by sucking lhm into the return pipes so it is now quite smooth when it rises (not too jerky).
It isn't just a car it is a BX and it's my BX. Long live the BX.
tzd
BXpert

slow to rise

Post by tzd »

citronut wrote:loose/slipping pump belt, dirty/clogged tank filters, perished main sucktion pick up pipe/hose (usualy near/next to the tank),

regards malcolm
Hi malcolm, loose slipping pump belt ? probably as I have found lhm seeping from the pump, new pump I think ! I've just put a bid in for one.
I took the filter out of the tank and cleaned it even though it wasn't at all dirty and refitted it. I looked at the suction pipe and everything seems to be fine with that.
I will try a new pump and see what happens !
Watch this space.

Kev
It isn't just a car it is a BX and it's my BX. Long live the BX.