Power steering on a 14RE

BX Tech talk
jamesnoble3000

Power steering on a 14RE

Post by jamesnoble3000 »

I have just bought a very tidy BX 14RE (1989 F) as a cheep runabout whilst I finish 3 year CX rebuild. The car is a joy but my wife having got used to V6 XM's finds the steering very heavy; so much so she will not drive the car. I have to confess that the weight is not a problem to me but I dislike the low geared rack!
So the question is does any body have any experience in retro fitting PAS to a 14 and if it is possible what do I need to change in the hydraulic circuit? More to the point if it is possible can anybody donate or sell me very cheep all the parts I would need to do the conversion. Otherwise the car has to go and she is lovely!

:(
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi James

Welcome to the club, no BX 14's were ever fitted with power steering from the factory but I expect it is possible to retro fit, what engine is fitted to the car? Is it the TU or the older type layback "suitcase" type?

I imagine a scrapped BX 16 would be a good donor? you will need the rack etc, they are available reasonably cheaply. Its worth changing the steering knuckles whilst its "off"

Tim
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
jamesnoble3000

PAS on a 14

Post by jamesnoble3000 »

Good question on the engine. How do I tell the car has its origional engine still. As I understand it there were three 14 engines fitted to the BX. The early gearbox in sump type, and 2 later ones both with alloy heads, one with an iron block and the other with an alloy block. Don't know which of the later ones mine has. Do you think it will make a difference to the job?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As far as I know they were only two types, it sounds like yours is the standard 1360cc TU carb fed unit (as per lots of other Citroens and Peugeots).

I am not sure if you would need a different pump aswell as the pipes and various bits and bobs, possible the steering column could be different?

The best would be to find a broken BX 16 and rob the lot to be sure.

Everything doable if you have

a. enough money

b. a big enough hammer!

:lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

There was a re-con power steering rack on ebay last week - same seller who had those supposedly re-con pumps - don't know if that's still available?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

You\'ll need a rack, a ram, an FDV and possibly a different P.R (though i can\'t confirm this) and all the pipe work.

Can\'t see why it couldn\'t be done with parts from a broken car, but you\'d need to make sure the 14 pump is up to the job. It might be the same as a 16 or 19 in a different mounting, but then it might not.

Overall should be fairly do able, though removing the engine and box would make life easier to install all the pipe work properly. Much cheaper to by a 16 (shame as the 14 is better IMO) or try different tyre pressures/types!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)