BX TGD - Shimmy/Vibration/Harmonic at +30mph.

BX Tech talk
kk-kolonel

BX TGD - Shimmy/Vibration/Harmonic at +30mph.

Post by kk-kolonel »

Hi from NZ.

I have a question re rear arm bearings - I am fairly confident that mine are worn out and need replacing but what I am wondering is, does worn rear arm bearings cause a small shimmy/vibration/harmonic through the car?

In my overactive imagination I am imagining the rear wheel changing in toe as the caster fluctuates due to worn bearings and it is the rapidly changing toe that is the cause of this shimmy. But my mind is a little imaginative and my head is full of straw so I am most likely quite wrong.

I feel it on the smoothest of roads and at any speed above 30mph it is notceable. I noticed the vibration a while ago and have mostly ignored it. However it has had new tyres along with brand new steel rims fitted at the same time and obviously they were balanced (no weights have fallen off that I can see either) I replaced the rims because I liked them - not because of the vibration. However I'm not sure if the vibration is getting worse or I am just noticing it more often.

I know I should just replace the rear arm bearings and see if it fixes it but if anyone has any bright ideas to take a look at and fix while I have the rear end apart would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

Or is it that the rear arm bearings are that worn it allows the wheel to go to negative camber and the tyre is now running on the bodywork/wheel arch.
I have seen them that bad but don't know if it will cause your problem.
Land Rover Discovery TD5
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Take some pictures so that we can see how much lean there is, that will give us more of an idea of whether its that or not?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
kk-kolonel

Post by kk-kolonel »

MULLEY wrote:Take some pictures so that we can see how much lean there is, that will give us more of an idea of whether its that or not?
I can assure you its not rubbing on the bodywork. I had had it scuff ever so slightly on the bodywork (and it was loud enough to hear clearly) when I fitted the new rims and 5mm spacers took care of that.

FYI - pic of the car - I'll try grab one of the rear wheels this afternoon and post tonight..

'91 BX TGD - sold then brought back and found to be in a very rough condition - has gone to the great chevron in the sky but had to be done to keep my other 2 on the road
'91 BX TZD - daily driver
'93 BX TZD - recent purchase making into a very tidy example
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

its a rear shot we require preferably with the car on its highest setting,

although that wheel seems to be leaning,

also check the tyre has not got a buldge on the tread face, with the wheel off the ground rotate it whilst holding the flat of a hand across the full width of the tread,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kk-kolonel

Post by kk-kolonel »

Cheers Malcolm - that photo was not meant to show the lean on the wheel. It was just showing you the car. I will get a photo up of the rear wheel camber soon..

I've checked the tyres are round and yes they are - also the shimmy was there but less noticeable with the original wheels and tyres (they were a comparitively taller profile 14")
'91 BX TGD - sold then brought back and found to be in a very rough condition - has gone to the great chevron in the sky but had to be done to keep my other 2 on the road
kk-kolonel

Post by kk-kolonel »

For your viewing pleasure.. :D

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

that last picy seems to show the tyre sitting more on the inner edge than square on its foot print,

but the others picys i to me are too close to the car and could also be better if they were in day light,

its usualy more noticable when standing a bit further back and square on to the back also,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

They don't look at all bad but like Malc says you need to stand a little further back so we can see the lean compared to the car but to answer your question no I don't believe worn rear bearings would give off the ''small shimmy/vibration/harmonic through the car'' noise you are looking for.
Is it speed / gear ratio related. I have a similar occasional noise on my TZD that appears to reverberate through my glove box that changing wheels and tyres made no difference to, if I open my glovebox it goes away.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I wonder if putting the car on normal height would show more wear, as the most wear in the bearings happens on normal height. :?
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I would not have thought that worn rear arm bearings would produce your symptoms.

1.Change wheels front to back, and see if the problem goes or changes.
2.Check the wheel nuts are tight.
3. More likely to be a drive shaft out of balance, check the CV joints, especially the inner tri joints.
4. Soggy-oil soaked bottom engine rubber mount.

Good luck
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

What wheels are they off? they look a bit like Xantia 15" steelies?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Brian wrote: 3. More likely to be a drive shaft out of balance, check the CV joints, especially the inner tri joints.
I think Brians sugestion is no. 1 suspec this is what i think may be causing the slight vibration on mine.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
kk-kolonel

Post by kk-kolonel »

Brian wrote:I would not have thought that worn rear arm bearings would produce your symptoms.

1.Change wheels front to back, and see if the problem goes or changes.
2.Check the wheel nuts are tight.
3. More likely to be a drive shaft out of balance, check the CV joints, especially the inner tri joints.
4. Soggy-oil soaked bottom engine rubber mount.

Good luck
Cheers - I had suspicions about the last 2 - the first 2 I tried a while ago I even tried wheels from another car entirely and I torque my wheel bolts to 75ftlbs.

I know my lower engine mount is a bit elastic, so I think a round of replacing them all of them may be on the cards - I have also picked up a small LHM leak somewhere in the front (please not the octopus.. ) I think the time is near when I will need to get it up in the air and take care of a couple things rather than putting them off like I have been.

I'm suspecting engine mounts may be a little difficult to get over here as the generic parts retailers just look at you with a "Rock Eye" when you mention Citroen. Is there a decent place in ol Blighty where I can get a full set of diesel engine mounts for a decent price?

Inner CV's I think I will keep an eye out for 2nd hand at the wreckers - are the diesel ones any different or will any for a BE3 box fit?

So many questions.. :D

I think I will be replacing all engine/box mounts, rear arm bearings and checking/fixing LHM leak while taking a close look at the inner CV's in the next month..
kk-kolonel

Post by kk-kolonel »

Oh also - the wheels are off this...