Rough running after starting

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Roverman wrote:Remember its a 20 year old car so expect these foiables!
True, but it was new once and presumably started perfectly. So when it doesn't, something must be wrong and can therefore be fixed! As (hopefully) it has been...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

It started fine again this morning using Tims no-pumping method (oh er :? ).

Half choke, no throttle and it fired instantly and then stopped (fuel being used up in the carb). Then about 5 seconds of cranking and it fired and settled to a nice smooth idle.

I'll see what happens over the next week when the car is left for a day or two again.
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
'92 TZD Hurricane (keeping it safe for a mate)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Rich wrote:It started fine again this morning using Tims no-pumping method (oh er :? ).

Half choke, no throttle and it fired instantly and then stopped (fuel being used up in the carb). Then about 5 seconds of cranking and it fired and settled to a nice smooth idle.

I'll see what happens over the next week when the car is left for a day or two again.
What I would do when the car starts with the method you provide then give it a bit of gas and see if keeps it going? My 16TRS which has a Solex always starts first time even though it takes some cranking when left for a while normally splutters a bit for teh first few seconds but if I raise the revs just slightly for a second or two it seems to clear and then run fine.

I has a 16TZS when it was about 6 years old and the autochoke on that wasnt great even then.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

All has been well for a while now.... However the problem returned yesterday.

I'll explain...

The BX has sat unused for a week on my Father-in-Laws drive whilst I attended the 2CVGB national. I went over yesterday to collect it and it started after about 6 or 7 seconds of churning and no pumping. After running for about 10 seconds it started to smell of fuel and chug as if it was being over choked. I managed to keep it going and drove the 3 miles home with no problems. However on slowing down outside my house, it started to smell and chug again, then died.

On walking around the front to open the bonnet I found this:

A growing pool of fuel that was dripping from the vent pipe that runs from the side of the carb here (the lower pipe)...

...and exits beside the rad.

On removing the air cleaner from the top of the carb I found that the front throat was flooded.

I have now removed the top of the carb and have removed the floats and needle valve. At this point I realised that I have run out of carb cleaner so in the morning I will refit the needle valve and see what happens.

I have however a couple of questions:

Firstly: What does the cylindar type thing do that the two pipes connect to? It has a spade connection on the underside.

Secondly: Are there any other reasons why the carb might flood.

BTW: The carb is a Solex.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rich
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Rich wrote:Secondly: Are there any other reasons why the carb might flood.
Dirt on the float valve seat preventing it shutting off fully?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Right! I'm hopeful that I've sorted it... But time and use will tell.

I removed the float needle valve and found a definate wear line on the sticky out bit...

I hopped in the 2CV and went to see if my local motor factor could help. Unsurprisingly they didn't have anything in stock but they did tell me about Northampton Motor Sport Services who used to be Northants Carb Services. One quick phone call to a very nice (and knowledgable) chap named Steve and I was on my way to collect a service kit for my Solex carb.

Half an hour and 20quid latter I was the proud owner of this lot...

I put it all back together and after yet another plug clean to sort this out...

All seems to be well :D

... but as I have said... Time will tell!
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Great stuff! :D

Sometimes a good "Italian Tune Up" is worth a go, as yours is an auto this will involve hearty use of the kickdown andmaybe holding on to the gears yourself, you may be surprised the amount of black smoke you get out of the back :shock:
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

"Italian Tune Up"... I like that :D

If I'm honest with myself I probably treat it abit too gently and rarely rev it above 2500RPM (which is strange as I rev the nuts off 2CV's... but then again you need to :D )

It's going down to Chichester next weekend for a 2CV camp so that should clear it out
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Rich wrote:"Italian Tune Up"... I like that :D

If I'm honest with myself I probably treat it abit too gently and rarely rev it above 2500RPM (which is strange as I rev the nuts off 2CV's... but then again you need to :D )

It's going down to Chichester next weekend for a 2CV camp so that should clear it out
Excellent, my 19TZi is much the same, unless you drive it hard the autobox rarely lets the engine go past 3000rpm, first time I floored it changed down two gears and went round to 6500rpm before changing up! Mind you it went like a sh*t off a shovel and shucked a nice cloud of black smoke out the back!