advice wanted on flushing cooling system

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Not so long ago I tackled the cooling system on the 19TRS and after that expedition a bit reluctant to do a full flush.

If you can use the same type of anti freeze/coolant that was in there before.

What happened? Flushed the system put in 50% mixture of antifreeze then few days later found myself with a green foot from a leaking heater matrix.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

kiwi wrote:If you can use the same type of anti freeze/coolant that was in there before.
Do you believe that your problems were related to changing coolant type? I can't see it being a problem to change to get the benefits of more modern technology, providing it's not mixed with the old stuff (it reduces the life). Personally I'm not a huge fan of OAT, as it looks too close to rusty old coolant for my liking! :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Lets put it this way!

As soon as I changed the coolant after flushing through the system decided to spring a couple of leaks. Given the differing brands of coolant sold over here nothing would surprise me.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

mat_fenwick wrote: I'm not a huge fan of OAT, as it looks too close to rusty old coolant for my liking! :lol:
maybe I've got OAT in my coolant system ;)

unfortunately, maybe not!!!
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Roverman wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Roverman wrote:Malcolm

You could fit a BX diesel fan switch whilst the radiator is removed as it cuts in a few degrees less than the petrol. My 19TZi gets quite warm in stationary traffic and regularly gets over 90 degrees before than fan kicks in, oddly the 16TRS (which has a temp gauge) never gets over 90.

I may take matts advice and remove the heater matrix and give it a flush BUT the heater on the TZI is amazing, and can melt paint at 10 paces :lol: wonder if having A/C and being an auto would make any difference?
Mods - Tim's identity has been hacked! He's posting about TECHNICAL stuff and GIVING ADVICE!!!!
F*ck off Oscar! :wink:

I have owned BX's for over 15 years now and am starting to do more and more spanner wielding these days....

You're not fooling anyone, you know. What have you done with Tim?
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"