Gunged up oil filler cap

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Gunged up oil filler cap

Post by Mothman »

Whilst inspecting the engine of the new 16TGS i noticed that the oil filler cap metal gauze/mesh was completly gunged up and almost blocked with old hardened oil and dirt. Looked disgusting and probably hadnt been cleaned for 20 years. 3 good soaks n scrubs later the petrol was still the colour of chocolate and so i have left it to soak overnight.

Would the breather cap in this condition have affected the vehicle's performance and should this be cleaned on a regular basis? Motor seems to go ok at the moment.

Andy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Personally I ditch the gauze as the design of the filler encourages condensation (which is why you always get mayo in the cap, breather pipes, neck - especially if you do lots of short runs) as that moisture rots the gauze anyway. Can't see it does much: the intention is to catch vapourised oil I guess and let it dribble back down the filler neck. Can't say I've noticed a problem in any of my petrol BXs with it removed.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

This is what mine looked like when I bought my BX

It took ages to clean out by carefully pulling out the gauze and soaking in petrol.
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
'92 TZD Hurricane (keeping it safe for a mate)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Yucko Rich,

looked nasty. Mine was like that but all cacked and solid and a dark brown. Wouldnt come off easily, even in petrol.
Think i will remove the wire mesh then.
Thaks all for your replies.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i belive its down to the gauze inside the filler kneck,

these being blocked also leads to mousture droplets forming on the underside of the rubber boot over the top of the carb,

which drip down and into the emulsion tube/jets inbetween the carb venturies,

you can strip and clean this gause, remove the filler kneck from the car and use a half inch drive extention to drift out the inner funnel shaped centre section, by putting the extention up through the bottom of the kneck and hold the body whilst tapping the extention on the bench/ground,

you will find a roll of gauze in between the inner and outter sections of the kneck,

pull the tack out that holds the roll together, unroll, clean in petrol then reassemble,

the other cause for mayo/gunnge in the breather system is if the rubber filler between the kneck and crank case is bent over or colapsed,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)