Getting the smoothest, Softest, boatiest ride in a BX.

BX Tech talk
anaconda
BXpert

Getting the smoothest, Softest, boatiest ride in a BX.

Post by anaconda »

In the search for a BX, im looking I think for a 1.9 diesel which was the model I owned seventeen years ago which had the classic soft citroen ride, hovering over large bumps and gliding rythmically over motorway undulations. In my experience it was smoother and softer than a well sorted DS.

Im told that the 1.7 tzd, the petrol versions and the GTI have different suspensions and that the ride varies from model to model; intentionally according to the desired sportiness and need for 'feel'. I assume spheres and other parts are interchangeable. So which spheres/suspension configuration do i need to get any BX model to give the softest ride? Surely any BX could be made as soft as the 'softest model'?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have found NO bx can match the ride of the MK1 GT, which is sublime, a bit rolly polly round corners but its a truely a magic carpet.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think Mk1's in general tend to be softer sprung than later BX's - it may be down to the use of bearings instead of bushes on the front of early cars.

Assuming my 14TGE has the correct spheres, they are much the same as my GS, although the G is softer sprung. My mate recons that his Mk1 19RD is about as soft as his G's, so an early car would be worth getting, if you can find one!

Other than that, there are people here who have experimanted with different spheres to get the ride they wanted.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My TXD 1.9 diesel has CX TRS spheres on the front and CX Safari spheres on the back. The back's a bit too soft for my liking, but the front's dead good. Experimentation seemed to be par for the course as far as the fastidious previous owner was concerned.

There are such things a 'comfort' spheres (maybe for people with spinal injuries or piles lol), which are apparently nice and soft; cossetting even, but a bit wallowy on corners.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

citsncycles wrote:I think Mk1's in general tend to be softer sprung than later BX's - it may be down to the use of bearings instead of bushes on the front of early cars.

Assuming my 14TGE has the correct spheres, they are much the same as my GS, although the G is softer sprung. My mate recons that his Mk1 19RD is about as soft as his G's, so an early car would be worth getting, if you can find one!

Other than that, there are people here who have experimanted with different spheres to get the ride they wanted.
Swapping the spheres was kind of what I expected, so I suppose the next question would be which brand are the softest? ....and id be interested to hear what else BXers have been experimenting with...... on their suspension that is!

I reckon i'll stick with the later model for aesthetic reasons, it was a definite improvement in my eyes.
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Philip Chidlow wrote:My TXD 1.9 diesel has CX TRS spheres on the front and CX Safari spheres on the back. The back's a bit too soft for my liking, but the front's dead good. Experimentation seemed to be par for the course as far as the fastidious previous owner was concerned.

There are such things a 'comfort' spheres (maybe for people with spinal injuries or piles lol), which are apparently nice and soft; cossetting even, but a bit wallowy on corners.
aaah, our posts crossed Philip. Interesting. Im assuming these spheres can be fitted to any BX, so the harder 1.7 Diesel models will then become 'big softies'. Comfort spheres sound ideal (any branding?). The compromise is of course the reduced 'feel' through the steering wheel but I found I got used to that, and the benefits easily outweigh the downside.
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

You can buy your spheres from GSF. They have a website and there might be a depot near you. They used to be about 18 quid, might be a bit more now.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

These guys should be able to help, it's all they do and they've been doing it a long time.

http://www.westroen-spheres.co.uk/

http://www.westroen-spheres.co.uk/BX.htm
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Defender110 wrote:These guys should be able to help, it's all they do and they've been doing it a long time.
At £30 for a sphere + £12 delivery that makes it twice the expense of GSF.

Depends whose nearest really I guess when you have to factor in delivery for such heavy items or the fuel there & back. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

To get a good ride you must also have the rest of the suspension in good order, worn arm bearings, sticky struts and incorrect ride height will also have an influence on the way car behaves.

The TZI has new "standard" (non TZD/Gti) BX saloon GSF spheres all round, and rear arm bearings too, but the front struts are crap, and it means the front end crashes over bumps as they cant react quick enough it seems. The rear is fabulous but before the new arm bearings etc was very stiff.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Way2go wrote:
Defender110 wrote:These guys should be able to help, it's all they do and they've been doing it a long time.
At £30 for a sphere + £12 delivery that makes it twice the expense of GSF.

Depends whose nearest really I guess when you have to factor in delivery for such heavy items or the fuel there & back. :wink:
You must also factor in the quality of the spheres + they are £30 FITTED at Westroen with minimum 3 years or 40,000 miles warranty. I have read many threads on here complaining of the quality or bad dates of the GSF spheres with 3 months warranty. I understand Wetroen will only refurb genuine Citroen spheres because of the quality issues with aftermarket spheres. I would also imagine they will give much better advice if wanting to alter your ride as in this post.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Kermit went to Westroen with his Xantia. Did all spheres there and it's safe to say he's very happy with the results! If you can afford to - get the best regassed or new. Citroen spheres are the best.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Kermit went to Westroen with his Xantia. Did all spheres there and it's safe to say he's very happy with the results! If you can afford to - get the best regassed or new. Citroën spheres are the best.
Always worth checking the dates on the spheres before you fit them, I havent had a problem with GSF for spheres, but I imagine some more of the less common ones could hang around a bit! Always wondered of the GSF ones were remanufactured or new?
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

INHO, the only cars that give proper big citroen ride are ............

All D's and all Mk1 CX's. The changes for other models and the non double wishbone suspension, sportier spheres etc etc mean that the others simply cannot live up to them.

Are the 'comfort' spheres that are so widely talked about still available on the continent? (i know that almost no one in this country has any clue when you ask for them) I suspect that would be the closest to 'full waft' mode you could get :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"