Getting the smoothest, Softest, boatiest ride in a BX.

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Stinkwheel wrote:INHO, the only cars that give proper big Citroën ride are ............

All D's and all Mk1 CX's. The changes for other models and the non double wishbone suspension, sportier spheres etc etc mean that the others simply cannot live up to them.

Are the 'comfort' spheres that are so widely talked about still available on the continent? (i know that almost no one in this country has any clue when you ask for them) I suspect that would be the closest to 'full waft' mode you could get :)
Come take a ride in the beige beauty, and I will wager you would change your mind :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Just spoke to Westroen who suggested a number of options:

- Check that the front BX spheres are '500s' as these give a softer ride and were changed later on to smaller '400s'.

- CX spheres can be used on the BX and would give a softer ride

- He also said that Xantia spheres are likely to give a softer ride as the Xantia is a heavier car and tranferring these spheres to the lighter BX would give a better ride.

They dont have any comfort spheres available, so I'll look elsewhere. However it seems that a pair of BX 500s on the front with CX spheres on the rear might do the job.

The first thing to do though is buy a BX!
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Roverman wrote:
Stinkwheel wrote:INHO, the only cars that give proper big Citroën ride are ............

All D's and all Mk1 CX's. The changes for other models and the non double wishbone suspension, sportier spheres etc etc mean that the others simply cannot live up to them.

Are the 'comfort' spheres that are so widely talked about still available on the continent? (i know that almost no one in this country has any clue when you ask for them) I suspect that would be the closest to 'full waft' mode you could get :)
Come take a ride in the beige beauty, and I will wager you would change your mind :wink:

I drove a D Super for years (sold it last year) and it was soft but not as good/soft a ride as the BX id owned.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Id love to at some point, trying the ride comfort in others BX's is great fun :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I drove a D Super for years (sold it last year) and it was soft but not as good/soft a ride as the BX id owned.

You guys must have some seriously floaty BX's :) :) :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

..that_ I don't think any BX has had the magic carpet ride other Citroens are famous for.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

My understanding is the BX has a more simplified version of the infamous magic carpet suspension + the BX is a much lighter car than the others Citroens with the fluid suspension and so they are unable to soak up the bumps the same??????
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The XM had a better ride than any BX I've been in. And Kermit's Xantia must be pretty close to it now that it's sorted.

Having said that I like the way the BX 'engages' with the road. Very rewarding. Until you hit a pot hole mid corner that is.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Philip Chidlow wrote:The XM had a better ride than any BX I've been in. And Kermit's Xantia must be pretty close to it now that it's sorted.

Having said that I like the way the BX 'engages' with the road. Very rewarding. Until you hit a pot hole mid corner that is.

The general rule of thumb in theory at least seems to be that the earlier modern Cits had the softest ride - the DS and CX. However reading this thread convinces me that owners can influence/ set up their more modern cars to achieve any ride they desire. Yours is another example . Not only that but for whatever reason differnt examples of the same model can develop a character of their own at least as far as suspension is concerned.

If I can reproduce the ride of my last BX, which as mentioned was softer than any DS ive driven, id be well chuffed.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Can't remember the name of th chap i spoke to at Wetherby this year, but myself & 2 other guests went for a little drive in his recently re-gassed sphered BX (can't remember what one's he'd fitted) & it was the most floaty soft thing BX i'd ever been in. I think it was a TGD Auto, it was so soft that even booting it made the rear hunker down & the front rise :lol:

He was the one that mentioned that he always put the car in low when parking up so as to preserve the pressure in the spheres, so on average he only has to re-gas them every 9 yrs :shock: & when they were checked they had loads of pressure still in them, but he likes the floaty ride so they were topped up, infact i think he overpressurised them? Since then i now routinely drop the suspension, so we'll see if they last longer than the usual 3-4yrs.

Might be worth joining French Car Forum as i suspect he's probably on their rather than on this site.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

MULLEY wrote: but he likes the floaty ride so they were topped up, infact i think he overpressurised them? Since then i now routinely drop the suspension, so we'll see if they last longer than the usual 3-4yrs.
Westroen siad something similar today, that if you over pressurise, or at least go over the normal pressure with the spheres they will give a better ride. Seems to defy logic to me...Id imagine higher pressure would stiffen the ride, but not the case apparently.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If I understand sphere construction correctly, there is a central diaphragm with gas one side & LHM the other. I'm not sure what the proportion of each would be in a normally charged sphere at normal ride height, but it's possible that overcharging the sphere would set the diaphragm in a more optimum position at this height, as well as increasing the available travel for the diaphragm.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Thinking about it logically, when spheres age through use, they lose gas pressure & therefore gas volume decreases & the ride gets firmer, so by overpressurising i guess it would have the opposite affect & be softer as per above.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I was amazed to discover that my recently acquired 87 TRi has the most amazingly supple and sorted ride. Driving it home on the highway, I couldn't help but think of the similarities to my old CX.
It has the smaller Mk2 spheres that had been idle for over two years, so yes most impressed. It seems alot of it comes down to not just the spheres but a well tuned and sorted hydraulic system. In terms of ride and feel it ate my old Mk1 TRS for breakfast...but, as I'm looking to get ultimate, I think I will install some bigger and fresh Mk1 spheres into the TRi. :D

As for my Mk1 GT, it already has the larger spheres, but again been left unused for 5 years, they're still nice and compliant but firmer than they should be. However after a quick neighborhood blast today the handling is soooo sharp and really suits the GT as it is nearing being my everyday driver.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed