Weber Carby mod---tuning

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

Weber Carby mod---tuning

Post by B-Hive »

Whilst I'm here, just thought I'd let you know of a little modification on my GT's weber that has made life so much more bearable. The problem was that the mixture screw on the carb was so inaccessible and so friction-less that it was impossible to tell if you were adjusting it or not until it was too late by which time I had no idea of how many turns I had actually made on the screw.

I dont know if anyone else has had the same issue, but it made it almost impossible to adjust the carb correctly.

So all I did was to remove the mixture needle entirely and then solder a male electrical spade plug onto the end of it. (obviously the spade ends goes in the screwdriver slot)...and bingo!!! I have a non screwdriver and visible adjustment of the mixture screw that I can adjust with my fingers. It finally allowed me to get the carb right.

Another red herring that almost got me today was the little clamp that holds on the electrical connector onto the dizzy. All happy with my carb coup, I thought I'd replace this little bracket thing that makes sure that the connector to the dizzy doenst come off. (i recently lost the little screw)..All good an snug I thought...Get in and start and it's acting up like a 2 year old...As it transpired, for some reason the clamp, when in place actually lifts the connector from its socket slightly enough to cause major issues with the ignition. Needless to say, for the moment, that I have removed the offending clamp/bracket and all is sweet again
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I'm stoked to see that my post created so much interest ...guess next time I'll post something more meaningful like "raspy noise when accelerating"
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Don't take it to heart - I found it a valuable tip even though I don't have a Weber carb anywhere.... :S
Last edited by rayfenwick on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

rayfenwick wrote:Don't take it to heart - I found it a valuable tip even though I don't have a Webber carb anywhere.... :S
Hey Ray,, are there any 81/82 CX 2400 2.5 injected sunroof C-matic pallas' left..i had one mid nineties..sorry to have sold it..best combo CX ever...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:guess next time I'll post something more meaningful like "raspy noise when accelerating"
Oi! :D
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote: Hey Ray,, are there any 81/82 CX 2400 2.5 injected sunroof C-matic pallas' left..i had one mid nineties..sorry to have sold it..best combo CX ever...
Any Cmatic is a rarity these days. Add in the Pallas trim and it's a rare beast indeed. There are bound to be some, but most will be left hookers on leboncoin....

I've not seen another Cmatic prestige yet, though maybe that'll change this weekend at The National... :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Wooscary wrote:
2BXORNOT2BX wrote:guess next time I'll post something more meaningful like "raspy noise when accelerating"
Oi! :D
Sorry!!

Was just jealous of all the attention you were getting :lol:
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I had nothing to add mate as I havent ever had a weber carbed one so wouldnt want to give duff information.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Roverman wrote:I had nothing to add mate as I havent ever had a weber carbed one so wouldnt want to give duff information.
How odd,, I just assumed all the early GT's had the Weber...what does your GT run?
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:
Roverman wrote:I had nothing to add mate as I havent ever had a weber carbed one so wouldnt want to give duff information.
How odd,, I just assumed all the early GT's had the Weber...what does your GT run?
It runs a solex mate, well thats whats fitted and would you believe it runs perfectly shhhhh :lol:

The other Mk1 I had was 16TRS auto which had a weber.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Worth noting I have a spare recon Weber carb is anyone needs one!
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

32/34 weber?

how much?
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)