Bleeding <expletive> Car

BX Tech talk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Bleeding <expletive> Car

Post by Vanny »

or not as the case is! Only have to do the brakes to be able to drive the damn car and the O/S bleed nipple has sheared off, this after 20 minutes of prep including a good soaking in rock ease, heating up a plenty and leaving to sit for a good long while to cool down.

So i'm now stuck! Cant really drive it as theres a three hour gap between putting my foot on the brake and actually stopping! AAAARRRRRGGGHHH really needed to use it this weekend!
M

Post by M »

Can it be drilled out? Im sure i have a nipple somewhere - will have a rummage in the shed tonight.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Old favorite of mine - can you loosen the flexi hose and let it blow the air out - just keep going until air ceases to come out!

jeremy
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

jeremy, i love you!

I had thought of this but brushed it off as a stupid idea! I shall be off to the garage now to try! Good job i've restocked my LHM reserves!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Vanny, if it`s the same then there`ll be a free one here off my petrol hatchback. Give me a call or pm me or something.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Billy, yes they are the same, and i have two O/S calipers of my own, just didnt want to swap them if i caould avoid it!

Now have a bag of bleed nipples on order from citroen! Made me give him the vin number and anything! £1.20 a piece! O

Doing the pipes seems to have worked quite happily and fluid started to come out pretty much straight away. The N/S however pumped out LOADS of air then lots of nice clean fluid!

Think i might have a small water leak, but that magically vanished as fast as it appeared, will investigate! Cooling fans working brilliantly, god bless Peugeot!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

A mate of mine used to work in a place called brake engineering, he reckons that they have guys there that do almost nothing but get sheared off bleed nipples out! apparently they have a drill guide and some odd sized drills, they drill into the nipple then screw a left hand threaded doodah into the remains and bobs yer fathers brother, Ill bet it wouldnt work for me though :x
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I know that place Stewart, used to call there with last job. They used to be open to trade/public for components and I can vouch for them being extremely competitive on prices. In actual fact I recall the discs for a Peugot 405 I once owned were nearly half the price of the cheapest motor factors.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Vanny - if its bled properly there's no real need to replace the nipple at the moment. Air in your brakes will fail the MOT - but I don't think a sheared nipple will!

Ok - its handy next time but a new one may have siezed by then anyway.

jeremy
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

There called 'easy outs' Stewart, or at least thats the American/Australian name! That is my next step but as confirmed by jeremy the plan was to just leave them be for now. Its not broken? so im not fixing it!
Toddman
BXpert

Brakes

Post by Toddman »

Vanny I have a set of easy outs or stud extractors as they are known round these parts feel free to use/borrow them

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

just dont snap one of them off in the bleed nipple.............do NOT ask me how i found this out.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Thats a case of dont snap the super hardened stud estractor that eats drill bits and laughs in the face of the grinder?

Bet i can guess how you found out :D

Oh and Machine mart dont sell them, called machine mart chester one day, and asked for a set of left handed taps as i couldnt think of the name, about a minute into the conversation something twigged in the guys head and he thought it was a wind up! Have never heard anyone be so polite and that was before i explained what it was and what it did!

Still not found a retailer of them so Snap on it is :D
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

if you are in no hurry, then find the bits you want on the online search catalogue and come back to me.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Buy them of ebay i did and it only cost me about £4 and my god have they been usefull you are looking for screw/stud extractors.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp