Can't get into reverse gear BX 19 TXD

BX Tech talk
jhunt

Can't get into reverse gear BX 19 TXD

Post by jhunt »

The reverse gear grinds when I try to find it especially when hot but other gears OK. Not sure if need a new gear box. Any advice please? Also looking for an arial someone broke off.

Thanks

John
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

first thing to check is the gear link rods,

check length and for play/wear in the ball cups,

aerial whips used to be avalible from citroen for only a few quid,

were abouts are you located,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I would see if you can adjust the clutch via the cable, had the same problem on my 19TZD and was all set for a new clutch, a few turns of the adjuster and normal service was resumed. I could only get it in reverse with the engine off previously!.

Regarding the aerial, GSF if the best place for that, they keep them on the shelf or you could try the local peuegot dealer as its the same part.

www.gsfcarparts.com
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

One tip I read on here reference preventing the reverse gear crunch was to select the opposite forward gear (can't remember where reverse is as my daily hack is an auto) first before selecting reverse which apparently stops the crunch.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

quite offten 1st is affected as well as reverse by an out of adjustment clutch,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Don't go replacing your gearbox! Reverse gear has no synchromesh so, as described above, you'll get a crunch if the clutch is out of adjustment and not disengaging fully. The forward gears have synchromesh, which helps stop this, though the change can get very notchy when the clutch is out of adjustment. Is the bite point right down on the floor?

If that's all ok, then yes, these gearboxes do tend to have a habit of crunching into reverse anyway. I pinched a tip from the TVR boys and always selected fifth before reverse (keep the clutch down while you do this). Became habit to slot fifth before reverse and I never got a crunch again.
jhunt

Reverse gear crunch

Post by jhunt »

Really grateful for the advice. I am definitely going to get the clutch adjusted as it seems that is the likeliest cause.

John
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

It's a very easy job you can do yourself John, no need pay someone to ''get it adjusted'' :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
jhunt

Reverese Gear Crunch

Post by jhunt »

Thanks.

OK I will study my Haynes a bit more and see what I can do! It just looked a bit tricky but I guess once you get in there it is not so hard like most things.

John
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The only tricky bit is if you somehow release the metal pin that sits between the clutch mechanism and the operating lever. It can then fall out. This happened to me. Fortunately I found it pretty quickly! It shouldn't really be an issue, but I managed it...

It's even easier to just try the 'fifth-before-reverse' trick though. If that stops it, the clutch is probably ok. If it still crunches, it needs adjusting.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Dollywobbler wrote:The only tricky bit is if you somehow release the metal pin that sits between the clutch mechanism and the operating lever. It can then fall out. This happened to me. Fortunately I found it pretty quickly! It shouldn't really be an issue, but I managed it...

It's even easier to just try the 'fifth-before-reverse' trick though. If that stops it, the clutch is probably ok. If it still crunches, it needs adjusting.
So what you're saying is "don't park over a drain! :lol: