Fitting air conditioning in an old diesel BX

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

rmattila wrote:what information drives the compressor clutch? I would guess there's a pressure switch somewhere..?
Yes, but it gets a little more complicated than that...

The logic is like this:
Engine normal temperature, A/C off - no fans
Engine normal temperature, A/C on - both fans slow
Engine hot, A/C off - both fans slow
Engine hot, A/C on - both fans slow
Engine very hot, and/or A/C high pressure - both fans fast

Jaba has previously posted up the A/C wiring diagram, although there are apparently a number of variations on this:

These sketches are a simplified outline of the current flow for the radiator/evaporator fans, if they are legible!

Engine Hot

Engine Very Hot

(I drew them up while I was having some problems with the cooling system).
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

rmattila wrote:
Jaba wrote:You can see a pic of a sump showing the compressor mounting lugs here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroën-BX-16v-Pe ... 3a67d17c9f
Thanks, that clarifies a lot. Does not seem impossible to weld the necessary fittings and supports to an ordinary sump.
I think you would need to beef it up considerably, looking at how strong that alloy sump looks. Citroen aren't renown for over engineering so I assume there must be a lot of strain on the compressor when it kicks in & out.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As a matter of considerable interest: how long to change a compressor?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Defender110 wrote:I think you would need to beef it up considerably, looking at how strong that alloy sump looks. Citroën aren't renown for over engineering so I assume there must be a lot of strain on the compressor when it kicks in & out.
Yes, I think so too. But there's plenty of room around the sump to weld the support structures, so I think it's doable anyhow.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:As a matter of considerable interest: how long to change a compressor?
Actually physically changing it - under an hour. So if you include the pump out and re-gas, I'd guess around 2 hours total. That is of course assuming that the fixing bolts come out OK (the top 2 are awkward to access without a ratchet spanner).
It may be a good idea to inspect the condition of the mounting bushes on the sump at the same time - mine had softened from oil contamination to the extent that they allowed the compressor to run out of line. Citroen were no use for replacements, so I made my own from fuel pipe drilled out to suit the original steel sleeves.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the tip... :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Got the reply from the guy who I got the parts from.

My initial hunch was correct:
Is an extra pulley fixed on top of the alternator one or what..?
That's how he said it was done in the BX he removed the parts from. So the extra pulley goes to the crankshaft end on top of the poly-v pulley turning the alternator belt, and the alternator belt remains untouched. The extra long bolt for fixing the pulley is included in the pile of bits I got. 8)
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

rmattila wrote:Got the reply from the guy who I got the parts from.
So the extra pulley goes to the crankshaft end on top of the poly-v pulley turning the alternator belt, and the alternator belt remains untouched.
OK that makes sense and will work obviously. Your biggest problem still remains though. Wiring it up and then seeing if you have any leaks. Unless you know that it was a working system before it was stripped.

It might be worth plumbing it all up together with new orings off the car before installing it and getting it leak tested. That way you will know that the condensor and evaporator are 100% and have no damage as well as the rest of the system.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Also got a couple of pics of another BX A/C installation, where the compressor is fixed to a steel bar fitted under the bolts of a regular tin sump:

So this thing is slowly starting to make some sense after all.. :P

Noted what you said about leakage testing the system prior to installation - certainly worth considering. Have no idea of the design pressure though, but that should be easy to find out.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

rmattila wrote: So this thing is slowly starting to make some sense after all.. :P
Apart from like you said ; why you want to fit it to a BX in cold Finland :?: Do we have some long distance journeys planned :?: :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.