Overheating

BX Tech talk
mds141
Over 2k

Overheating

Post by mds141 »

After a run out to the car wash left the engine idling on the valver whilst i did some citrobics. Stop light came on and water temp gauge through the roof with red light on. Fans didn't kick in at all. Coolant levels are fine. What is next course of action. Where are electrical connections to fans could it be the thermoastat? Temp is fine whilst car is in motion. Cheers Mark.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

First place to look is the fan switch, down the side of the radiator, pull the wires off and join them together, if the fans run then it could be either the switch or just dirty connections, give the connections a good scrape to get off any green grot and reconnect them then try your citrobics again to see if it's sorted if not replace the switch. Most motor factors can supply the switch.

If the fans don't run with those wires connected together it's likely that the fans have died but that's a very rare occurence. Gibbo.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Cheers Gibbo out the door now! Do the fans run with a relay or just a fuse? Cheers.
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

First place you should look is the FUSES

In the fuse box located in the passenger footwell under the dash.

I had this problem blamed everything else ended up being a faulty fuse. Ironically the replacement fuse was also at fault.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I had this problem a few months back when I got my 16v back on the road. It turned out to be the plug going to the switch on the rad. If I held it in a certain position the fans would cut in. I cleaned it all up and it improved but still need to change the plug, although I couldn't find one that looked right...

If I put the heater on the fans barely ever come on anyway :lol:

How quickly did the temp gauge go through the roof? It could be a dodgy sender?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Citrobics are nothing to do with the hot running, it\'s the fact you\'re sat still.

Like has been said, check the fan\'s working first. If it is, then connectors to switch or switch itself could be iffy. The fan is the likely culprit.
Otherwise it\'s worth getting an infared thermometer and check the temp of all the hoses under the bonnet when it\'s at running temp. Aside from the obvious differences like the rad hoses and heater hoses (if your heater is running) this will highlight any blockages in the system, or any areas where the system isn\'t working as it should (ie if you\'ve got all pipes at 88c and one at 30!).
A partially stuck thermostat could cause that, and it could be the engine is able to overcome it on the move as the air is cold and the coolant is pumping faster, so theres less heat soak.
If there is a massive variance at the rad, check it\'s hot all over. Cold spots could indicate blockages or air locks (if they\'re at the top).
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Thanks for response guys. Cleaned the terminals to the fan[only one on the 16v] and checked fuse still no action from the fan. Is the switch on the radiator itself?
Mark Smith

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes the switch is on the radiator half way down one side, Take the wires off the switch and bridge them out with a short piece of wire to eliminate the switch.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Tried it again still no fan cutting in despite temp gauge entering the red zone. However noticed not much heat coming through the heater despite being on max. Thermostat?
Mark Smith

rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

My money's on the connector... my CX 22TRS caught me out with that 30 mins before the MOT... thank goodness for radweld!
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Don't want to risk failure en route to the National. Will see if Dave Ashworth can have a look. If not will have to come to the National in the DS3. Not a proper Citroen i know.
Mark Smith

kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Has the fuse been checked? Replaced and then replace again. Might sound OTT but I can prove that one.

Oh btw, was messing around with thermal Image Camera courtesy of the Fire Brigade. The engine looks pretty...erm cool :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

When did you last change the coolant, Maybe worth doing, its a faff to get the airlocks out but worthwhile, also whilst your at it take the radiator outa nd flush it and fit a new thermoswitch (fan switch)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Roverman wrote:When did you last change the coolant, Maybe worth doing
That wouldn't stop the fan operating though. If you short the connector for the fan switch as suggested by Kevan and Gibbo (not sure whether you have or not?) that bypasses the usual culprit and checks the rest of the circuit (including the fuse!) If the fan does not spin when you do that it's time to look elsewhere - but it's a very simple test to do. The engine doe not need to be running to carry this out.

A thermostat problem wouldn't stop the fan from coming on. You've confirmed that the cooling system is fine in normal operation, just something stopping the fan from working.
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It seems to me that you haven't actually got an overheating problem just a gauge mis-informing you. I suggest you change the gauge sender it's not an uncommon fault, not expensive and available from motor factors. Gibbo.