power steering ram overflow seal

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

power steering ram overflow seal

Post by B-Hive »

Cant seem to get the PS ram overflow seal/pipe to stop leaking..I have already swapped it out for a "good" one but that may not be enough..

I'm thinking that there seems to be too much fluid making demands on the seal..
As its just an overflow seal, does anyone know how much fluid should be passing...is it a flow? a slow trickle, or just the occasional drop?

Are these parts still available new?

Thx
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

it is just a seapage return so no flow at all,

either you acumalater sphere need replaceing or the ram presure seal is not holding the presure,

it the colar is still avalible here is price and part No.

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95592155 LEAK BACK UNION 6.48 GBP 7.78 GBP 7.78 GBP

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

citronut wrote:it is just a seapage return so no flow at all,

either you acumalater sphere need replaceing or the ram presure seal is not holding the presure,

it the colar is still avalible here is price and part No.

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95592155 LEAK BACK UNION 6.48 GBP 7.78 GBP 7.78 GBP

regards malcolm
Interesting point, because I suspected my accumulator sphere was tired but never thought that this leaking would be a symptom too..

Managed to source a new collar/seal today for $28. despite my local expert saying they're "not available" . AND ironically whilst on the phone to the seal supplier I ordered a new accumulator sphere as well from him. So this will be the first job when i get the parts.. Not keen to remove the PS ram again if I can avoid it.

So I will be interested to see if replacing the Accum sphere will do the trick. I guess the theory is that, without the damping effect of the accumulator, the pump is spiking the system producing too erratic pressure to the likes of the PS ram..I have to say to car does pump up very quickly!!

BTW the Ram is a good known swap out kindly donated by JayW
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

it always used to be said the if the small plastic pipe at the bottom of the regulater keeps poping out, the first thing to check was the acumalator sphere,

as apparently if flat could cause higher presure in this trickle return circuit,

now if you follow that pipe back over the gear box it conects to a rubber three way union, and the pipe from the ram also plugs into this,

also it is possible to fit this colar with out removeing the ram completly,

remove the nut holding the ram to the rack spigot UK N/S and loosen the bolt at the other end which holds the ram body to the rack,

then you can pull the ram end from the spigot enough to fit the new colar,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

citronut wrote:it always used to be said the if the small plastic pipe at the bottom of the regulater keeps poping out, the first thing to check was the acumalator sphere,

as apparently if flat could cause higher presure in this trickle return circuit,

now if you follow that pipe back over the gear box it conects to a rubber three way union, and the pipe from the ram also plugs into this,

also it is possible to fit this colar with out removeing the ram completly,

remove the nut holding the ram to the rack spigot UK N/S and loosen the bolt at the other end which holds the ram body to the rack,

then you can pull the ram end from the spigot enough to fit the new colar,

regards malcolm
Awesome advice Malcolm, as that clear hose connected to the bottom of the regulator HAS been popping out as well for no apparent reason, and as every time one removes the PS RAM pipes it increases the chance of them not sealing properly... but still struggling to visualise how to slip the new collar over the locating post and between the end of the the ram..but i'll give it a go if the new sphere doesn't do the trick
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote: BTW the Ram is a good known swap out kindly donated by JayW
'Tis most definitely a good one, came off my 16V when a swapped it to a manual rack.

That was quite some time ago, has it only just been fitted or have you had it on for a while?
I have zero patience for your tedium.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as i said earlier if the ram body fixing bolt is just loosend and the other end the nut removed, you can pull the ram completly clear of the spigot,

i have done them like this,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

JayW wrote:
2BXORNOT2BX wrote: BTW the Ram is a good known swap out kindly donated by JayW

That was quite some time ago, has it only just been fitted or have you had it on for a while?
Hi Jay, fitted it some time ago but has not had much use as have been prepping and sorting the car in other areas.

So yeah, with the amount of fluid trying to escape from the seal, I am now reasonably confident that it is caused by a flat accumulator. Touch wood that may also have a bearing on the HP pump's rattle, being that it is operating without a ballast from the accumulator..

Thanks to all so far....I'll accume you later.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone