Do 1.7 and 1.9 Turbos share the same waterpump & tension

BX Tech talk
Oscar
1K Away

Do 1.7 and 1.9 Turbos share the same waterpump & tension

Post by Oscar »

I need to do the cambelt on the 1.9TD ZX, and I have a new waterpump and tension roller which I ordered for (that fùcking fiasco) Groliffe. Will they fit on the 1.9?

The cambelt was last done 40k miles and 6 years ago, so it does need it. Our neighbour's one snapped as he was thrashing his I've-only-just-bought-it-yesterday-let's-see-what-it-can-do 306 up a hill, bit of a warning really.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Possibly. Depends on the timing cover - late BXs and AFAIK all the 1.9TDs had the bolt on timing cover (rather than clip on), for which a different water pump is needed. The later pumps have part of the aluminium casting acting as the timing belt shield, so fitting an earlier pump (it will fit the block) will leave a gap though which dirt can get onto the belt. Tensioners are the same.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Do you have any idea how much extra stuff you have to take off a ZX to do the cambelt? Sheesh......
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Done, at last. And only one or two extra bits left over by the end. New cambelt, tensioner, idler, waterpump, auxiliary belt, and coolant. Ran out of time of Saturday, had to finish it off today. Made some muffins for Phil and the boys down the garage too, so everyone is happy.