removing a tough accumulator sphere

BX Tech talk
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

There's another DIY solution:

http://citroen-foorumi.com/index.php/to ... 66151.html, third message. Remove the dots from the letter "e" in Citroen to make the link work - this forum software is apparently trying to be a bit too clever and adds them. :roll:
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

So it has not some off yet..the chain wrench snapped and cannot find a heavier duty alternative (or for that matter a replacement where i live)..the new ram seal i have installed as plan B and it seems to be holding fluid...but still sure that there was to much flow from the RAM..

BTW..like it was suggested here I didnt have to remove the whole Ram (thankyou) , but in difference to the advice given I did need to remove the main big bolt entirely in order to move the ram enuf the slide the old boot off and the new boot on..

So plan B has worked.. just need a solution now to plan A..getting the accum sphere off..hoping to avoid drilling it,,,and I cannot weld/do not own a welder so thats out as well
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Did you check the tool shown in the previous post?

Attempting a direct link to the pic:

http://citroen-foorumi.com/index.php?ac ... ttach=3261

No welding required, and the sphere remains intact.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i certainly wont be useing that method, as i am not going to whacking or levering my spanners thank you very much :shock: :shock:

although many years back i had used a large motor bike chain round the sphere with the other looped end fed through the eye of a very big ring spanner, which did the job,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

citronut wrote:i certainly wont be useing that method, as i am not going to whacking or levering my spanners thank you very much :shock: :shock:
You hit the bolt, not the spanner. :wink: I haven't used that either - according to the poster it was made for a certain C5 sphere removal where there was no room for a motorbike chain, and the proper tool was for some reason not available. Easy to make even though you had no access to a welding machine or other machine tools besides a drill.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

rmattila wrote:There's another DIY solution:

http://Citroën-foorumi.com/index.php/to ... 66151.html, third message. Remove the dots from the letter "e" in Citroën to make the link work - this forum software is apparently trying to be a bit too clever and adds them. :roll:
Unfortunately I don't speak Heguslonakiiasnst so all I had to go on were those ambiguous pictures of the apparatus ...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:Unfortunately I don't speak Heguslonakiiasnst so all I had to go on were those ambiguous pictures of the apparatus ...
The pictures are supposed to be quite self-explanatory (they're not commented in the text in any language): a strip of approximately 3 by 25 mm steel bar is wrapped around the sphere and tightened with a bolt. The bolt then provides a hammering point which arguably makes the hammering method a bit easier than by using a chisel directly on the sphere.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

why do they fit the spanner between the pinch clamp, it certainly looks like they either intend to use the spanner as a lever, or hit it with the hammer :shock:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

citronut wrote:why do they fit the spanner between the pinch clamp, it certainly looks like they either intend to use the spanner as a lever, or hit it with the hammer :shock:
Beats me. There were two pictures, one with the spanner and another one without it. I guess you could use the spanner as a lever to turn the sphere once you have first knocked it loose by hitting the bolt end with the hammer, but that doesn't sound very practical either.

And, as I said, no explanations were given on the use of the tool. :roll:

I've never tried that myself, but might consider making one for a very tight accumulator sphere, if I didn't have the proper tool and there were problems getting the chisel to bite.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

it's not budging ...fortunately the new ram seal is tight enough to curtail the leaking,,but I will need to revisit the accumulator sphere removal sooner than later...thinking chisel and hammer too messy and hit and miss..might take it to my local man and save considerable effort,,,
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote: where i live
If you live near to me I will lend you my own made up removal tool. Was made a long time ago and a possible copy of another make.

The long handle is approx 25 mm square and the tool has never let me down.
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:..thinking chisel and hammer too messy and hit and miss..
Chisel & hammer is very definite and moves it straight away IME. :D In fact on mine it was more convenient than a tool because my aircon pipes are below the acc sphere so a long chisel in one place was easier to access.

I can tell you that it hardly marks the weld on the sphere if that's what is worrying you about the procedure. Once it moves you can usually unscrew by hand or if still tight you can use the chain wrench without much risk of breakage.

Start with the chain wrench of Halfords style and you'll almost certainly break it. (A strap wrench is much stronger.)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Way2go wrote:
2BXORNOT2BX wrote:..thinking chisel and hammer too messy and hit and miss..
Chisel & hammer is very definite and moves it straight away IME. :D In fact on mine it was more convenient than a tool because my aircon pipes are below the acc sphere so a long chisel in one place was easier to access.

I can tell you that it hardly marks the weld on the sphere if that's what is worrying you about the procedure. Once it moves you can usually unscrew by hand or if still tight you can use the chain wrench without much risk of breakage.

Start with the chain wrench of Halfords style and you'll almost certainly break it. (A strap wrench is much stronger.)
in my thinking, chisel and hammer is last resort and destructive..I obviously have the wrong idea entirely ,,,but in my minds eye i cannot see bashing away at the sphere with hammer and chisel would be of great effect. if not for anything else but lack of any leverage impact thet is most likely required ...I'm happy to be be further encouraged and informed otherwise
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Went outside and tried the starboard side front spheres of a random BX with the chisel:

http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... _small.avi

The chisel could have been a bit duller - this one left a small mark on the sphere - but I wouldn't call that "bashing away", rather "administering controlled impacts to a specific location on the sphere equator". :wink:
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

its not a method i would try and as said earlier never had to either,

all that said it will work if you get the chisel to bite into the weld with a slight glansing blow, and to drift the sphere round,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have