Timing Belt Kit

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

QH don\'t make exhausts, it\'ll just be a generic cheap aftermarket type. Same as Walker, to be fair.

The only a/m exhaust I\'ve actually rate is Bosal, but to be honest I\'m happy to faff about for another 30mins trying to get one to fit if it cost less than half the price!

But this is the same story where ever you turn in the land of car parts. You\'ve always got people who know that this make is shite and so on. Up until recently I\'ve worked in parts most of my \"career\" and you win some, you lose some no matter what it says on the box, so I generally just splash out as little as possible.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

w.r.t timing belts, I suggest that you check that the belt you have been supplied is the correct one for your BX.

I got a GATES belt from a motor factor on the drive home from work for my BX16 with 171B engine. I fitted it, then as a check turned over the engine (manually) for 2 rotations and rechecked the timing position. it was way way off, I reckon about 90degrees out of sync.

I took the belt of and hoped I managed to reposition the cam & crank shaft timing and then checked the belts.
My original belt had 113 tooth, the supplied one had 114tooth.

I went to a different (more local), I HAD been supplied the correct timing belt according to the Gates spec. Checking other belt suppliers and Contitech stated 113tooth belt.

I went home praying that no damage to engine and fitted 113 tooth belt. My BX now works with no engine damage. (Although I now seem to have a scraping noise so I suspect that the new belt is rubbing on the cambelt cover.

Does anyone know where I can get cambelt covers these days.

Sorry for the novel, but this terrified me that I could just have fitted wrong belt, started engine and destroyed engine! if I hadn't double checked it.
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Neil,

I am not familiar with the petrol engine, but I am reasonably sure that the tooth count would make no difference to the initial set up."Unless someone knows different".
Providing all the pulleys were pinned in the correct position and the belt was tightened over the pulleys, and the tension was tight.

I would have thought that the extra tooth would make it easier to fit the belt, providing all the slack was removed after releasing an tightening the the tension pulley.
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

When I checked the belt tensioner taking off the belt, it was at the end of it end stop. And I did hear some noises when I turned the engine, I took it that is was just some compression and decompression noises, but you have got me thinking that this may have been jumping a tooth a couple of times

The other point with the Gates belt is it did not have any markers to line up with the cambelt marker and the camshaft marker. The Contitech belt did have the location markers.

As I say this frightened the hell out of me.
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)