17 TZD Low coolant level light permanently on

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

17 TZD Low coolant level light permanently on

Post by andycadabra »

Following some attempts to weld a small leak in the plastic part of my radiator (touch wood, the latest is successful), the low coolant level warning light is now permanently on, despite there being plenty of coolant, and having bled the system.
According to the manual the switch is on the drivers side of the radiator halfway down, but while I remember my BX 16 having a float operated one there, my 17 TZD has what I believe to be the Thermo switch which operates the fans, with a plug and 3 cables attached. If I'm right, where is the low-level coolant Sensor located?
The radiator was repaired in situ, and a fair bit of hot water got splashed around - could anything I'd done have affected it?
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Never owned a turbo Diesel myself, but I have the impression that their level sensor would be located in the feed tank rather than the radiator?
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

is it a turbo? With the header tank by the battery?
If so, the low coolant sensor is in the tank.
That said, the control box for it is still down by the rad, mounted on the front panel inboard of the OS headlamp, and the plugs are known for corroding up, so if it's got wet, it's plausable that the cause..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Yes - Turbo - That's great, will check and get back..
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks Guys - you were right on the money!. I unplugged the connector - applied WD-40, and now fine.
Less successful was the welding of the plastic part of the radiator - I managed to stop the leak above the outlet, but is now leaking from underneath it, less accessible and visible. For £3 I'll give Bar's leaks a try - it's the only one that mentions it can fix plastic radiators, however the versions on sale in the UK dont mention that..
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

K-Seal will probably stop it leaking..
Although given how much a cooked engine costs to fix, it may be worthwhile investing in a new rad, there's a couple on Ebay at the moment..

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

I couldn't find any evidence online to suggest K-Seal would work on a plastic part of the rad. Only one testimonial that said it wouldn't.
I've had a saved search for a BXTZD radiator on eBay for months now without any luck- the standard diesels radiators are quite easy to get.

The one I have now, I got sent from a fellow BXer, a week ago but the small spout that protrudes is vulnerable when being couriered. a bit nervous about getting another one in case something similar happens, so I'll try and fix this one.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I'm not a lover of any Rad seal type products, I have seen several engines actually damaged by them. This type of product is designed to block water access and can block water passages / small bore hoses that are needed to be kept open. In fact I can categorically state I will never use any of these products in any of my vehicles. The coolant system should be clean and free flowing at all times and should be included in all maintenance schedules including complete flushing when required.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Valeo recommend you use a rad sealer when fitting some of their heater matrix's these days...
I'm not a fan of them, have used them as a get you home measure, or "it'll do til I have time" measure, but thats about it really..
That said I know plenty of people that have had failes HG's and rads and used K-seal, and their motors are still going many thousands of miles later...