Changing a sun visor (fail!)

BX Tech talk
scarecrow

Changing a sun visor (fail!)

Post by scarecrow »

Okay - I finally decided to do the job yesterday, after a year of procrastination (and trying to balance the said visor so I could see to drive).

Spent an hour assembling the tools (mainly a torque(?) drive) - took the broken one off - this mechanics lark is easy-peasey. Fail, it's the wrong type of visor (too short). Pulled the bracket out of the old one and it seems to work just by friction - so another half an hour borrowing a pair of pliers (mine have disappeared) and a good, grunting squeeze and hey-presto it stays in place now!

Took off the exhaust shield too, which was rattling like a demented pneumatic drill.

I think I will get the garage to fix the rattle from the front suspension ;)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Think i have a rattling exhaust heat shield as well, sounds like the front one. Was it easy to remove/repair?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Changing a sun visor (fail!)

Post by Way2go »

scarecrow wrote: Took off the exhaust shield too, which was rattling like a demented pneumatic drill.
If it's the one that protects your Hardy disc, I hope you replaced it as you don't want to be cooking that rubber! :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

What's a hardy disc!?! I asked the Citroen mechanic who looks after the car and was told it'd be okay to take it off... It's not really a shield - more of a preheater for the air intake - but as I have Konan the Barbarian air filter thing on top of the Carb now it was pretty much redundant.

The thing rattled because one of the bolt holes was corroded - a big washer would have fixed it. It's located over the front inlet manifold and there were three small bolts holding it on that looked corroded but came out easy enough.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The Hardy disc is the semi-flexible steering column coupling behind & just below the exhaust manifold.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Ahh yes I know what you mean now - thanks. No this is right at the front of the engine.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Way2go wrote:The Hardy disc is the semi-flexible steering column coupling behind & just below the exhaust manifold.
Not on the 1.4 engine, to be pedantic... :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Way2go wrote:The Hardy disc is the semi-flexible steering column coupling behind & just below the exhaust manifold.
Not on the 1.4 engine, to be pedantic... :wink:
No Hardy discs on any of the engines to trump your pedantic. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:lol: Groan...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Does it matter if there's a tiny bit of seepage --- from the Carb. ? I noticed it was a bit bit moist around a middle gasket, getting yellowy too.