Front struts

BX Tech talk
Alastair
BXpert

Front struts

Post by Alastair »

Are any companies still doing recon front struts for BXs?...Any one any idea of the cost?
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Bx 17 TZD diesel turbo 1992
Xantia 1.8 16v
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

If I remember rightly about £500 for 'new' from a stealer and a fair bit less for pattern but wasn't it "Pleidays" that offered recons? That's not how it's spelt though...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Phil Chidlow's pet mechanic fitted a recon one to The Green Tiger for about £120 IIRC. Postage is an issue - he's based in Essex. They've bloomin' heavy!
Alastair
BXpert

Post by Alastair »

My estate has new spheres all round is nice and soft but has the bangs associated with front struts failing when you hit a pothole...the ride is not really as good as it should be...I just wondered if any firms were doing exchange units at anything like a sensible price?
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Bx 17 TZD diesel turbo 1992
Xantia 1.8 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Alastair wrote:My estate has new spheres all round is nice and soft but has the bangs associated with front struts failing when you hit a pothole...the ride is not really as good as it should be...I just wondered if any firms were doing exchange units at anything like a sensible price?
Before you shell out for new ones its worth trying to lubricate them internally and externally first (look round the forum for how to do this). Failing that pleides will sell you some recon ones.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

As far as i'm aware, failing struts don't actually make much if any noise. If you hit a bump & its making a loud bang, it could very well be a knackered ball joint or possibly a worn out bush on the front suspension arm. Once a strut is on its way out, it should just blow off the strut return pipes, which is what one did on my car. No noise, no warning just a bit of creaking now & again & then the LHM lamp came on, pulled over & diagnosed the issue.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
anorthfield
Confirmed BX'er

Too much information??

Post by anorthfield »

I've had BXs new since 1992, and from running three daily I am now down to one, thanks to rust and major block problems. I'm obviously fairly used to their foibles, but have not had to think about struts before.
Mine make no noise, but unevenly and hesitantly rock up from rest to driving height.
They have been getting worse and slower to rise, and today did not want to rise at all. Moving the height adjustment high to low, time after time, made no difference. Rocking the car made no difference. Driving the car for 5 miles made no difference. Eventually, after the 5 mile drive, rocking the car from side to side by hand with the setting on high they rose. Enough's enough!
The back suspension rising is fine. The brakes are fine. The power steering is fine. So the pump is fine.

I've read lots of posts on the subject (thanks everyone), but there is so much info that I don't know what to do for the best because no-one describes my precise problem.

Do I need new (or reconditioned) struts, or seals, or ???????

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Height corrector sticking would be my first thought to be honest, though I bow to the superior knowledge of others!
Willy
BXpert

Re: Too much information??

Post by Willy »

anorthfield wrote:I've had BXs new since 1992, and from running three daily I am now down to one, thanks to rust and major block problems. I'm obviously fairly used to their foibles, but have not had to think about struts before.
Mine make no noise, but unevenly and hesitantly rock up from rest to driving height.
They have been getting worse and slower to rise, and today did not want to rise at all. Moving the height adjustment high to low, time after time, made no difference. Rocking the car made no difference. Driving the car for 5 miles made no difference. Eventually, after the 5 mile drive, rocking the car from side to side by hand with the setting on high they rose. Enough's enough!
The back suspension rising is fine. The brakes are fine. The power steering is fine. So the pump is fine.

I've read lots of posts on the subject (thanks everyone), but there is so much info that I don't know what to do for the best because no-one describes my precise problem.

Do I need new (or reconditioned) struts, or seals, or ???????

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.
Mine's started doing this too, however I think Dollywobbler is right. Last week it took me ten minutes of fiddling with the lever to get the front to rise, although this morning, a week after it was last used, the front went up first, quickly and correctly (still shuddered however). My temporary fix is turning the car on from normal-high position, then switiching back to normal as soon as it begins to rise. Usually works. I'd be interested to know if you find a long term fix, however.

Will
ImageImageImageImageImage
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the linkage does/can stick at the rfront hight corector through lack of lubricant,

if you squirt some oil onto the linkage then work it a few times with a lever directly in the linkage, and not via the hight lever it should free up,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
anorthfield
Confirmed BX'er

Post by anorthfield »

Thanks. I'll try Malcolm's suggestion.

Upon thinking it through, the chances of both struts being similarly faulty at the same time is not that likely. So if one was faulty I would see movement from the other, which is not happening. When it happens, neither is moving at all, whereas previously one (or both) would judder slowly up.

So the height corrector does look very likely to be the culprit because it would affect both sides.

I hope someone will tell me if they disagree.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

just be carefull when levering the linkage at the hight corrector you dont lever against its rubber dust covers,

as you will split them and the diaphram inside of it,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
anorthfield
Confirmed BX'er

Post by anorthfield »

Thanks Malcolm.