Inlet manifold and other gaskets: How and where?

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Inlet manifold and other gaskets: How and where?

Post by TB2 »

Hi again,

I wanted to refit the manifolds to the head today and I noticed the gaskets Oscar had sent me don't fit. Are there actually different models? The old gasket (one piece of metal) is at the bottom. The new seals are some sort of card board / metal compound. The exhaust manifold seals fit okay, but I'm struggling to understand if these inlet manifold seals are supposed to fit:

Also, where do these seals belong? I think the big one on the second picture goes behind the exhaust manifold but I'm clueless about the others.
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It appears to be a gasket set for the earlier square port engine (pre ~1986) hence why the inlet manifold gasket doesn't fit. All the gaskets I've seen for the turbo engine have been metal and in one piece with the exhaust manifold, with the ones for the NA engine being paper/card.

The one on the right is for behind the thermostat housing, the one on the left I *think* is for the plate on the front left of the head when standing at the front of the car.

Valve stem seals, not fitted to all XUDs - you need a valve spring compressor to replace.

Crushable washers seal where the injectors screw into the head. I've seen them in copper, but your copper washers look too large for that - not sure what they're for. Large C section O ring is the thermostat seal. Worth noting that gaskets sets often come with gaskets to cover the engine installation in many different cars, so chances are you won't need to use them all.
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

You will need to get the correct inlet/exhaust manifold gasket for a turbo diesel.
Its the same gasket on the ZX TD if that makes getting hold of one any easier.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.