Clutch cable replacement & cheapo plastic clip 19RD

BX Tech talk
sdelasal
BXpert

Clutch cable replacement & cheapo plastic clip 19RD

Post by sdelasal »

I've been wrestling for too many hours changing the clutch cable on the 19RD. The Haynes description is laughable - okay it is for a 1.4 where guess access is not a problem presumably.

So I removed the pedal box - had a lot of fun trying to get the old cable out of the rubber cover and the new cable thru it. The rubber seal eventually slipped out from its holder - so I perhaps should have removed it in the first place. Access to the 8mm self tappers holding the gasket in place is difficult. So I ended up removing the right hand engine mount & tried to pull the engine forward to give more room - not very successful.

What i'm struggling with now is the cheapo plastic clip on the end of the cable which seats in the metal ring on the back of the pedal box ...and the plastic ring then looks like it clips into the plastic clip. First I notice that the plastic clip is keyed. Should I assemble this with plenty of cable slack on the floor & then position the pedal box .. or the other way around and attempt to assemble the clip and ring in the right place with the pedal box up against the bulkhead. I tried both and neither worked - i was losing light, so called it a day.

What a poor design! - at least the original cable had a nice piece of alloy to butt into the pedal box. This new cable has some cheapo plastic affair that looks like it'll snap/break at the slightest hint of trouble. So i'm not impressed. I'll have another go tomorrow morning.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i never remove the pedel box, it is possible to hook the new cable onto the pedel if you place a block of wood under the pedel to hold it nearly fully up,

then with loads of PERCY WHAT SIT engadge the nylon feral into the bracket on the pedel box, but as you say linning up the locater into the slot, before snapping the tinny ring into place :twisted: :twisted:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
sdelasal
BXpert

cable work

Post by sdelasal »

thanks malcom ... I got it all together but gave up on the tiny snap ring ...do you think that's an okay thing or am I going to regret that? I'm thinking cable tension should hold it together.

The metal tag that the plastic collett snaps into was distorted and I straightened it up. I'm thinking that if it is marginally too tight then the snap ring will not go in. I should have assembled it before hand in a dry run.

6 hours in all!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

had the old cable completly failed, maybe your due for a new clutch!!!,

if the bracket on the pedel box was bent it could indicate your clutch is on its last legs,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

there's a post from me on the same subject just a few lines down from this one! I don't frankly see why you need the little locator 'dog' on the nylon thing, and next time I do a cable I will remove it with a craft knife. But the nylon does have to sit square inside the bracket as per my posting or excessive force will be applied to one side leading to bracket failure.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the tinny ring is ment to lock the nylon feral into the bracket,

i know its a BBBB to get in,

also i dont think it will snap into place if the locator on the feral is not placed into the slot in the bracket,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

I think i need to compare 1.9D clutches with mr Chidlow down the road.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Clutch is very nice now - no juddering on pull away. I am a little surprised a cable change could make such a difference.