BX braking

BX Tech talk
djm666
BXpert

BX braking

Post by djm666 »

I have recently started getting another BX on the road and have come across a strange thing with the brakes.
when i got the car it was not going, and when i did get it going it had a bad brake delay. which i thought as it had been sat it would need bleeding and getting fresh LHM into the calipers.
So
I bled all the brakes and fitted new front flexi brake hoses. this made the brakes a shit load better. i serviced the brakes and they were good for about a week, untill i parked it up for another couple of weeks as i save up for more parts. then i go to it and it has the slightest of brake delays again.
now i might just be sensitive as my girlfriends BX has brakes that are shit hot, i put it down to being auto so you do use the brakes a lot.
has any body else come up against this?
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I drove the two MK1 BX's back to back at the weekend and there was a wee bit more travel in the DTR than the GT (you only have to look at the pedal on the GT abd it stops you on a sixpence). I put it down to the DTR having cover 125,000 miles more than the GT, but I wouldnt say its a "delay" as such.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Some BXs had a spring fitted to the brake pedal arm, like the Xantias, to make them feel more like a 'conventional' car. Don't think that is the issue in this case though, as the problem comes and goes.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As Mat says, I think the later cars had some alteration to make them less "fierce". But it sounds like somethings playing up.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

mat_fenwick wrote:Some BXs had a spring fitted to the brake pedal arm, like the Xantias, to make them feel more like a 'conventional' car. Don't think that is the issue in this case though, as the problem comes and goes.
I thought it was only XMs that got this silliness. It must have been contagious. :roll:
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Barnsley BXer's car had this same problem. When you pressed the pedal there was little effect, but with the slightest more pressure they would really come on fierce.
Pedal travel didn't seem to be an issue, Shaune bled all the brakes but it make no difference. The accumulator sphere was newish so the brake valve must have been the issue.

Some of the earlier ones have a bleed nipple on the valve itself, but I don't think this was continued on the later ones.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i would firstly put a bit more citro blood through the system as its the easyest thing to do,

otherwise it might be the dosure valve,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I've only ever had this problem in conjunction with a flat accumulator sphere. Once replaced the brakes were fine.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
djm666
BXpert

Post by djm666 »

yeah i will be replacing all the spheres next week, will see how or if it will change it.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Just FYI....cars without ABS tend to have sharper brakes as a rule. My 16v needs a much harder prod to get the brakes to wake up than the GT my dad has, or the 19RD.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

ken newbold wrote:Barnsley BXer's car had this same problem. When you pressed the pedal there was little effect, but with the slightest more pressure they would really come on fierce.
Pedal travel didn't seem to be an issue, Shaune bled all the brakes but it make no difference. The accumulator sphere was newish so the brake valve must have been the issue.

Some of the earlier ones have a bleed nipple on the valve itself, but I don't think this was continued on the later ones.
And never actually solved the problem :(
The car eventually went to the big car park in the sky :evil:
Oh, how I miss it :cry:
How's life, Ken?