Availability of BX strut repair kits

BX Tech talk
JohnW

Availability of BX strut repair kits

Post by JohnW »

Hope this is the right place for this query!

I'm looking for a couple of seal kits for my front struts - 1990 BX19 TZi Break. The front is now nice and supply again after following Tom's cunning lubrication process, but still binding a bit (although the struts are sliding as smooth as silk when out of the car) and groaning a bit.

Can anyone suggest a supplier please. I'm in Oz of course, but that doesn't matter.

Cheers
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I think that Pleides can provide the necessary seals. I don't have the number but I'm sure someone will post it up. Then phone him up- he's a bit of a Citroen hydraulics encylopedia apparently and will probably be able to help you.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

toddao wrote:I think that Pleides can provide the necessary seals. I don't have the number but I'm sure someone will post it up. Then phone him up- he's a bit of a Citroën hydraulics encylopedia apparently and will probably be able to help you.
Thanks for that. They operate in Australia too, so I'll give them a ring here first. I certainly can't find them anywhere else.

Regards
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

toddao wrote:I think that Pleides can provide the necessary seals. I don't have the number but I'm sure someone will post it up. Then phone him up- he's a bit of a Citroën hydraulics encylopedia apparently and will probably be able to help you.
Pleiades in Cambridgeshire 01487-831239 :wink:

:D
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

RxBX wrote:
Pleiades in Cambridgeshire 01487-831239 :wink:

:D
Many thanks.
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Pleiades Automotive Hydraulics (Australia)

Lot 3 Naylor Rd Gayndah 4625
(07) 4161 2512
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Is that your new balloon - BX of the sky - frog? :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

frog wrote:Pleiades Automotive Hydraulics (Australia)

(07) 4161 2512
Thanks for that. They've just done my flow divider.

My plan is to refurbish a pair of struts and quickly swap the old ones out. About an hour off the road I guess.

You must like the BX!!!!! Personally, I wish I'd discovered them earlier. We've had the 19TZi wagon for 7 years now.
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

JohnW wrote:
frog wrote:Pleiades Automotive Hydraulics (Australia)

(07) 4161 2512
Thanks for that. They've just done my flow divider.

My plan is to refurbish a pair of struts and quickly swap the old ones out. About an hour off the road I guess.

You must like the BX!!!!! Personally, I wish I'd discovered them earlier. We've had the 19TZi wagon for 7 years now.
Sounds like a good plan. When I've got a bit more cash I might try the same with my 16 Valve, but for the moment greasing up the struts has made them feel a lot better.

I've had only BX's since I got my licence in 2007 :D . But my family has had BX's for as long as I can remember.
toddao wrote:Is that your new balloon - BX of the sky - frog? :D
:D Would be great have a BX shaped basket for that Balloon!
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

If you are going to strip down and refurb the struts make sure you really lube and soak the thrust bearing that screws into the top of the strut.
These dry out in time and if you can get the felt washer, which is part of the bearing, wet with oil or LHM this will ensure that the lubrication last for a good while.
Alternatively just suck some LHM into the strut and then keep it upside down for a few days and the LHM will do the job for you without bothering to strip the units down.

If you are going to fit new internal seals then make sure that you polish out the wear ridges on the inner piston otherwise you may still have sticky front suspension.

I have in the past put new seals into struts but have come round to the view that if a strut starts groaning or sticking or getting stiff then it is time to try the inverted lubrication trick as I have found so far that it does work, whereas the sucking in LHM while still on the car does not really do the job properly.

I keep a spare strut or two in stock that have been lubed in this manner and just swap them over when needed and then lube the removed strut ready for the next replacement.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

That makes really good sense to me.

Last week we pulled them out and lubed them in that way but didn't leave them inverted for long. Now the car is much, much more supply but groaning a bit. Maybe still not lubricated enough.

Over the weekend I acquired a spare set of working struts, unfortunately attached to the rest of the car which I have to take too! I'll do exactly as you suggest and see how we get on. Can't touch it now until October, but I'll eventually post here again and let you know how I get on.

Regards and thanks.
Jaba wrote:If you are going to strip down and refurb the struts make sure you really lube and soak the thrust bearing that screws into the top of the strut.
These dry out in time and if you can get the felt washer, which is part of the bearing, wet with oil or LHM this will ensure that the lubrication last for a good while.
Alternatively just suck some LHM into the strut and then keep it upside down for a few days and the LHM will do the job for you without bothering to strip the units down.

If you are going to fit new internal seals then make sure that you polish out the wear ridges on the inner piston otherwise you may still have sticky front suspension.

I have in the past put new seals into struts but have come round to the view that if a strut starts groaning or sticking or getting stiff then it is time to try the inverted lubrication trick as I have found so far that it does work, whereas the sucking in LHM while still on the car does not really do the job properly.

I keep a spare strut or two in stock that have been lubed in this manner and just swap them over when needed and then lube the removed strut ready for the next replacement.