weber free flow air cleaner

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

weber free flow air cleaner

Post by B-Hive »

Gave the GT a mini tune up today as well as an "italian tune-up" fun fun!!

Got me thinking about the possibility of putting a free flow air cleaner to feed the carb...has this been done b4? ...is there enough space to mount a foam air filter on top of the carb or does it need to still be ducted from elsewhere..

Plus is the original pseudo ram air collection going to be better than messing with having a free flow air filter...just that the carb sounds really good when its un-muffled and it may just make the GT even peppier.. :P
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

This is what I have on my GT. Cold air is ducted up from front spoiler below the head lamp and onto the cone filter which is separated from the rest of the engine bay by a piece of sheet metal. The pipe is made of PVC which I later spray painted black.

1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I can't say with BX's in particular, but I would consider carefully before replacing ram air with a free flow filter. The free flow filter may work better at low speeds, but the ram system would be better at higher speeds - it will all be down to how well your ram system works.

Personally I would try to incorporate a free flow filter element into a ram air collection system, that way you'll get the best of both worlds.

Also, be prepared for it to not make any difference at all - another part of the system may also be operating at peak efficiency. I hit this problem with the Lomax I had. I started with twin exhausts, effectively doubling the cross sectional area for the exhaust. I then fitted a K&N filter, and as a result I had to screw the mixture screw almost all the way out to get it to run properly, and really should have fitted a bigger main jet to cope with the increased air flow. I got better performance but at full speed the fuel consumption was quite staggering for a 602cc engine, emptying a 14lt tank in around 80 miles!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

citsncycles wrote:
Personally I would try to incorporate a free flow filter element into a ram air collection system, that way you'll get the best of both worlds.
Yes I agree, am working on such a system at the moment...but first I now need to work out a very intermittent "fuel" issue..

ie engine will rev but not have enough power to move the car at all... eventually the problem "clears itselt",, but very disconcerting just when you think you've nailed the tuning/setup/reliability
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Apologies if this ground has already been covered, but could this be a clogged fuel filter or a collapsing fuel line?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!