Bodywork - estate tailgate hinge

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Bodywork - estate tailgate hinge

Post by Dollywobbler »

Howdy folks

Has anyone had to repair/have repaired an estate tailgate hinge? When my Mk1 got clobbered down the LH side, the car caught the tailgate just above the rear light and pulled it backwards. The hinge has distorted and I think the metal has ripped slightly - it's hard to check as the tailgate is very difficult to open and currently only has one strut in place...

It is making me a bit nervous as it looks very fiddly - but perhaps it's no worse than the A post hinges? (one's already been repaired very solidly, if a little messily on this one).

Have found the roof going into holes above the windscreen as well. The long term prospects are interesting for sure! (interim solution is going to be to rub it down, slap a load of rust converter about the place and skim with filler).

Would also like to confirm whether Mk1 estate rear wings are the same as Mk2, just in case a suitable donor should present itself...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'm pretty sure the Mk2 estate body is exactly the same, unlike the hatchback.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks for that. Next question. How do you go about removing a tailgate? The one currently fitted has a broken hinge. This makes holding it open rather difficult, which is causing me concern when it comes to the wiring...

Would it be easy enough to cut the wiring and splice in the wiring from a new tailgate? Or is there a miraculous plug somewhere that I can simply undo?
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

I found how to take off the tailgate in the Citroen Dealer Manual.
I will scan these tonight and see if I can remember how to attach the scans to a post.

'scratch...'
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

Image[/img]
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Lol They make it look so easy to dismantle a tailgate? Has anyone ever managed to remover the bumper section from the bottom? Unscrew the screw and much force later.... nothing will budge!

Actually removing the tailgate is simple though. Disconnect and pull the wiring through, disconnect the gas struts at on end and the washer pipe, and remove the hinge pins. Et voila :D
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Neil - sorry, missed this when you originally posted it.

The tricky bit is going to be sorting the twisted hinge out. My body repair bloke is happy for me to work on his premises, so I'll get the tailgate off and then he can work his magic with the hinge. Hopefully...